DE virgin

Astra SP would be my choice as a good all rounder.
+1.

Blade choice is a very personal thing. I've also found Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (greens) also work well for me. My EJ was supplied with Derby blades and I've not had a bad experience with them, whereas others wouldn't have them in the house.

Let us know what you decide and how you get on.

Regards,
Chris

OK so I stuck with the boots soap and bowl which I struggled to get a good rich lather from so I think I'll be trying a different soap/cream
Astra sp in edwin jagger de 89, I would prefer a longer handle tbh but the weight feels nice
1St pass very straightforward
2nd pass I think I reverted to fusion mode occasionally causing a little bit of razor burn
But all in all a better shave than I've ever achieved with any cartridges I've ever tried
Now to get the technique nailed

As you said: "practice, practice, practice" and minimal pressure. It takes some time and conscious effort to overcome years of cartridge shaving habit. Did you whip the soap long enough, or add enough water? That also takes some practice. Mantic59 does some useful instructional videos on lathering, if you haven't found them already.

Regards,
Chris

Yes I've watched a few mantic vids, the soap leathered to a certain extent but not as it should, I'm going to try something different anyway as I fancy something that smells pretty:)

Tony

Yes I've watched a few mantic vids, the soap leathered to a certain extent but not as it should, I'm going to try something different anyway as I fancy something that smells pretty:)

Tony

If you want scented soap, I recommend Cella, an Italian soft soap (so-called croap) which I've loved since I first tried it and popular with many wet shavers. Fantastic almond scent, lather superbly and a treat to use. Frankly, sometimes I open the pot to smell it even if I don't use it.

if you want to go more upmarket you'll have to go a long way to beat Saponificio Varesino soaps. They're a treat.

There are also some fine artisan soaps around, worth checking the pages of this forum for advice and reviews. As in all of this, it's a matter of trial and finding what works for you. I've only been back into DE shaving as a hobby for a few months, so I'm still learning. It's good to share experiences. Shame it usually has such a detrimental effect on the wallet!

Regards,
Chris

Round 3
Bought myself a tub of cella, wow it smells good enough to eat, I still haven't mastered how to get a good rich lather as yet but certainly easier to use than the hard soap
Took a lucky dip into the blade box and a voskhod was the blade for the deed
Now whether it was the new soap or the new blade or a combination of both it felt different again, no nicks or razor burn, 3 clean passes and it feels like I'm born again :)

Round 3
... Now whether it was the new soap or the new blade or a combination of both it felt different again, no nicks or razor burn, 3 clean passes and it feels like I'm born again :)

Hi Tony, and welcome to TSR. Good to hear you've had a great shave. Now that you've achieved that I'd suggest sticking with that combination for a couple of weeks to get the hang of it.

When you fancy trying something new change one item at a time so that you know what made the shave better or worse. Also just because everyone else thinks a product is great it might not work for you, the best example of this is often blades. Try for yourself and make your own decision. Enjoy - Paul :)

Back
Top Bottom