DDOS attacks

You may or may not have - or currently is - seen that a number of popular sites are not loading today.
It appears that Twitter, Etsy, Amazon, etc are suffering from repeated DDOS attacks today.

I'm on the west coast and currently both Twitter and Etsy are down for me.
It might well be that access to these sites is not affected if you're in the UK though.

http://gizmodo.com/this-is-probably-why-half-the-internet-shut-down-today-1788062835

Latest status:
https://www.dynstatus.com/incidents/nlr4yrr162t8

Please excuse my ignorance but what's is DDOS?

Simplistically, which is the only way I can talk about it, is that a bunch of computers (personal computers like yours or mine) got a malware/virus on them and then the people that spread that virus co-ordinates an attack against multiple online sites basically 'flooding' them with data (from these infected computers) to the point where the sites shut down.

DDOS = Distributed Denial Of Service

DYN are one of the sets of servers which handle the DNS system

DNS (Domain name system) is the protocol which , for example, translates the URL "theshavingroom.co.uk" into something like 123.123.123.1 which then routes you to the website.

There are lots of DNS servers, both ISP and others. I use OpenDNS look-up on my system, Google have pretty reliable DNS servers and there are others. Most have big caches of addresses, with fallback to secondary servers if the primary doesn't find it.

For example, I can set up my DNS on my router, which would normally go to automatic look-up from my ISP, to look first at OpenDNS and then Google on 8.8.4.4 if the first fails.

This DDoS attack is flooding the DYN DNS servers and preventing normal DNS look-up translation, where sites route to DYN. It is, or was, mainly affecting East Coast USA, but could expand or move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DYN are one of the sets of servers which handle the DNS system

DNS (Domain name system) is the protocol which , for example, translates the URL "theshavingroom.co.uk" into something like 123.123.123.1 which then routes you to the website.

There are lots of DNS servers, both ISP and others. I use OpenDNS look-up on my system, Google have pretty reliable DNS servers and there are others. Most have big caches of addresses, with fallback to secondary servers if the primary doesn't find it.

For example, I can set up my DNS on my router, which would normally go to automatic look-up from my ISP, to look first at OpenDNS and then Google on 8.8.4.4 if the first fails.

This DDoS attack is flooding the DYN DNS servers and preventing normal DNS look-up translation, where sites route to DYN. It is, or was, mainly affecting East Coast USA, but could expand or move.

It sure ain't looking good
Outage hotspots
paypaloutage.png

Back
Top Bottom