Day 3 (ever)

Well what a difference a day, and a decent lather makes! Went back to my original method of lathering directly on the face & running the brush under the tap rather than soaking it. Much, much better! Two passes & a clean up (which seems to be becoming "my usual). 99% flawlessly smooth & certainly my best shave yet. Pretty sure it would have been 100% if i'd gone across, but i've not done one of those yet & I'm a little more pressed for time today (so I left my head).

I feel like I already may have found the blade for me. (Astra Platinum). I almost feel like making a bulk order now & not bothering to try the rest in my sample pack! I feel like I could develop a good understanding with this blade. Should I keep trying the others in the sample pack anyway?

Today was the first time where there were points where I felt like I wanted to be using a different razor. (I'm using the Merkur 34C HD). Don't get me wrong, for 90% of the shave, brilliant. Perfect. I love that the weight of the razor does the work for you. Just lean it in at the correct angle and take a stroke. Great. But there was a point in the shave where I felt it being weighty counted against it. Namely under my chin. Most of the time, it makes gravity work FOR it, but (unless my technique is completely wrong) going under the chin, (which is the most nerve wracking part of the shave for me) the weight of it make it feel like it was a little more hard work. Perhaps I just need to learn to relax a bit more round that area. I'm sure that'll come with more experience.

Lastly, I guess I need to start looking into a "post shave" care routine. At the moment, all i'm doing is moisturising, and I don't think that's really cutting it. I do feel like I need to do some sort of moisturise, because I have naturally dry skin, but i'd also like to do something that "soothes" too. I'd be hugely grateful of any and all advice on that front.

I thank you for taking the time to read the inane, uneducated ramblings of a newbie. :icon_lol:

Relax under the chin.. go gentle and give it more passes if you feel it isn't getting shaved enough.

My whole neck area is tough to shave... so I just feel around after each pass to see where the stubble is still prominent and then shave over the area that bit more.

Gentle strokes will reduce the need for 'soothing'. Either way a good aftershave (no need for great expense) will leave your skin feeling toned. My personal faves are Proraso, Brut Original, Quorum, Blue Stratos, Ogallala Bay Rum - all bar the Ogallala are under a tenner.

I read somewhere that you should leave it 20 mins or so before using a moisturiser - maybe someone else can give more detail on that.

All the best

YorkNeil said:
I read somewhere that you should leave it 20 mins or so before using a moisturiser - maybe someone else can give more detail on that.

I've never heard that one. My regular routine is a rub with alum and leave on the face for a minute or so while I clean and tidy up. Rinse and dry and then splash on some witch hazel and then add moisturiser a minute or so after that. Works well for me.
If there is a 20-minute theory, I too would be interested in what it is.

I didn't actually believe it when I was told, but using old spice aftershave after my cold rinse made a whole world of difference.

So now I shave, warm rinse, cold rinse, pat face dry, apply witch hazel, tidy up then apply old spice - stings for a second or 2 but really reduced my redness and left my face feeling great. Maybe then leave for 20 minutes before moisturising :)

Hmm... Interesting. Are the any relevant post-shave products that are scentless? Or as near to scentless as possible? Being a fragrance guy, I wouldn't want to apply anything that would interfere with my fragrance.

QWERTYOP said:
I feel like I already may have found the blade for me. (Astra Platinum). I almost feel like making a bulk order now & not bothering to try the rest in my sample pack! I feel like I could develop a good understanding with this blade. Should I keep trying the others in the sample pack anyway?

Today was the first time where there were points where I felt like I wanted to be using a different razor. . But there was a point in the shave where I felt it being weighty counted against it. Namely under my chin.

Lastly, I guess I need to start looking into a "post shave" care routine. At the moment, all i'm doing is moisturising, and I don't think that's really cutting it.

First of all, don't buy any more blades right now. There's no telling which one's gonna be best until things start coming together. No way your technique is good enough to properly test a blade. Plus, you need to try a bunch to develop an idea of what works.

Ideally, you wanna use the same blade brand for at least a few weeks, replacing it every 3-4 shaves. Right now you don't want to go changing things around regarding the blade or razor. After 15-20 shaves it's fine to try a new blade but not till then. Also, keep that same razor in use for one month. The first few weeks is just fumbling around and the second two weeks is when the shaves start getting decent. You definitely don't wanna change razors and then have to figure out how it shaves while testing new blades after those first few weeks.

Moisturizers are all that many people use (me included). Aftershaves with alcohol are gonna burn and aren't as gentle as other products. Then you got people using alum to finish up, which you might read about. it's also gonna sting but some people like that feeling.

It's gonna take you a month to get good but not great shaves pretty regularly. After that things go quick and shaving gets lots easier and much more fun.

Martin

jb74 said:
Is this going to be one of those 365 projects?

Weleda, Proraso, Simpsons.. these are the ASBs I use. All good.

I hope we don't get a new thread everyday! I'm interested in hearing in the OPs experience but it will make it much easier to read in one thread.

Wouldn't it be interesting if he were to send daily photos. Or even videos! Different razor, blade, experience. Kind of like Ulysses returning from Troy.
Wait that was more than 365days.
You're right let's skip the Greek thing and have the Irish one.

Back
Top Bottom