Dashi 350 Iron sand Tamahagane

This came in from Japan yesterday a NOS Dashi 350 made from iron sand Tamahagane by Yasuki steel, a western style kamisori a delightful and very beautiful razor I'm very pleased as you can imagine, I'm also waiting on another NOS Japanese Hoshi Tombo 8000 also coming in from Japan in the next few weeks, that's a razor I've been hunting down for a while very hard to find a NOS one I'll post a few photo's when it arrives.

That looks great.

***Stupid Question***
I'm sure this has been asked before, but, I always thought a Kamisori was a non folding razor. What is the difference between a folding Kamisori and a normal razor?

MrK1 said:
That looks great.

***Stupid Question***
I'm sure this has been asked before, but, I always thought a Kamisori was a non folding razor. What is the difference between a folding Kamisori and a normal razor?

Kamisori is Japanese for razor - so the difference is between folding and non-folding with the folding termed 'western-style kamisori' to differentiate.

What differentiates Japanese and western razors is the asymetric grinding used in Japan where one side of the bevel is a different angle to the other - whereas western razors are symetrical. However, you can also get symetrically ground Japanese razors and these are no different to western.

Rob I think you will like the Hoshi Tombo it will be a first for me a Japanese deep shoulderless wedge grind with very interesting shape scales. I think it's one you may appreciate.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Rob I think you will like the Hoshi Tombo it will be a first for me a Japanese deep shoulderless wedge grind with very interesting shape scales. I think it's one you may appreciate.

If the scales are unusual you can be assured I'll copy them at some stage. Look forward to seeing the pics.

Back
Top Bottom