Crabtree and Evelyn

Hi

Just been wandering around the shops and noticed in Crabtree and Evelyn that they do a 'west Indian lime' soap and cream, along with many others.

Has anyone ever used these? What are your thoughts?

Mark

Hi
I picked some of this up in the cream version a few weeks ago (I warn you now I am no expert!). I found the scent initially is nice, but is not particularly strong once lathered. I found the cream gave a smooth shave and I enjoyed using it. I would definitely purchase some more

Adam

Avoid the soap as if it were the plague IMO it lathers as well as hibiscrub and smells like dettol. For the price you can do a lot better. I dont have hard water tried with 5 different brushes, soaked the puck, grated the puck and still no good

I use C&E soaps with no problem at all. I like them quite a lot maybe not in the very top rank as Tabac but not too far behind. I've never had a problem lathering them and the wooden bowls are very nice.

I like their creams and currently have tubes of Sienna and Limes on the go. C&E creams are a staple for me along with creams from TOBS, The Real Shaving Co. and The Body Shop. I've also been using C&E's WI Limes aftershave balm and it too is excellent. Generally, I don't use balms, preferring alcohol-based aftershaves, but I find the C&E Limes very effective.

Nishy said:
Avoid the soap as if it were the plague IMO it lathers as well as hibiscrub and smells like dettol. For the price you can do a lot better. I dont have hard water tried with 5 different brushes, soaked the puck, grated the puck and still no good

Agreed, I'm in a hard water area too and trying to get it to lather was like watching England over the years trying to repeat the 1966 world cup, very painful indeed, and of cause non-existent!

Nishy & Fox - I'm genuinely surprised. I live in a very hard water area & my C&E sandalwood soap's probably my favorite of the 15 or so I have; good scent & absolutely no problem getting a thick slick lather - it's my go-to soap if using a new razor/blade because I know it's so consistent.

I have both the Nomad & WI Limes soaps from C&E. Both smell pretty good to me but the difference is in the ability to lather. The Nomad is a dream, I get a really lush slick and creamy lather that helps with excellent shaves. However the WIL is an absolute dog! I have tried many times using different techniques (as Nishy) but can't seem to get anything other than a piss poor thin bubbly lather that provides no protection whatsoever. As a last resort I'm probably going to grate it with something else, if I can be bothered.
Tread carefully.

p.s My water is 'moderately hard' according to Yorkshire Water.

Happy shaving
Adam

Sounds like you got a decent puck or sandalwood differs from the west Indian limes my lather looks similar and lasts as long as a head of fosters

These are part of my regular rotation......... but only the creams. As for the shaving soaps they tend to dry very quickly, very little cushioning between skin & blade.

Of the shaving creams these too me YMMV are far superior to the soaps, great slide and cushioning. Does not dry out leaves your face well moisturised.

I do not buy the tubes, not the best value for money.............. The ones I buy come in 150g jars, these are Nomad, West Indian Limes & Sandalwood. Nomad being my favourite.

Charles U.K

I just bought some of these to try as their shop is only 5mins away, and are having a 50% off sale. I could only get the WIL shaving cream in a tube though.

Back
Top Bottom