Coticule or Noticule?

OK impulsively in the last few minutes I looked at an eblag auction and saw this <click pic for more>

I picked it up for £26 and am hoping that its a coti that has come adrift from the schist, what do you think? If I'm right any advice on backing it would be great.
Anyhow at that price, coticule or not, if its any kind of finisher then I'll be happy.

Nic I think it's a coticule looking at the photos on Tony's web site

http://www.taylors1000.com/ebay_pages_11/hone_23/razor.htm

It looks like it's come away from its base or it might have just had a very hard life with a carpenter.
I have only just bought one of these myself. Previously I have always honed with synthetic waterstones.
Now that I have one of these I get a slurry going using a diamond whetstone start honing then keep adding water till it's clear as I hone till I get an edge that is nearly there. Then I stop using water and keep honing till the stone is dry. I have found that this is the best way for my stone till I started using it dry I could never get the edge to the point where it would shave me without dragging. Don't know if your stone will be the same its just lots of trial and error.
If it's not a coticule I'm sure somebody on here will correct me and inform you of what it is just have a go at honing with it and report back.

I would also lay it on a towel to support the middle when using it as ¼ inch isn't a lot of support for the stone. That's why they are normally backed with slate.

Nope, don't know, but I hope it's a good one Nic. Huh, those carpenters, eh?

You could of course epoxy it to another stone or even a thick piece of glass, a good plan if you intend to use it without a box; if you do make a box though the old trick is to bed it on plaster of Paris.

thanks, I shall just have to wait and see what its like when it arrives, I'm thinking of gluing it to a Dragons Tongue which I would have to cut down some how. I wonder if my angle grinder would work?

Back
Top Bottom