contemplating giving straight shaving a try. advice please

Hi,

iv been thiking about giving straight razor shaving ago i hear the learning curve is longer but the shaves are better & i think id be one of the few young bucks keeping the skill alive lol iv been looking at the bargain vintage straight razors on Neil Millers website . now common advice online dictates that a 5/8th quater or half hollow is a good place to start for a begginer. but the only one close to that is a quater hollow grind 4/8 (for £22.50) would that still be ok for a begginer?

http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/product/4|8_Vintage_P_Kohl_Fisher_Razor,_Solingen_FISHER-01

also iv been looking at Paddle Strops because i hear there easyer for the novice to use.
this good? i want to keep costs tto a minimum

http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/product..._Pasted_Horse_Hide_Paddle_Strop_2-PAD-EB-COHH

think i'll do a few more month research before taking the jump i keep chickening out thinking i'll cut half my face off of or somthing :lol: :oops:

thanks gents

Joe

Re: contemplating giving straight shaving a try. advice plea

first off, Neil should be the one to contact. (stropshop)
4/8 is ok, 5/8 or a 6/8 would be easier, but at that price, it's a good thing.
Also ask Neil for a basic bridle strop, it's what I use, and love it, they're not fancy in any way, but quality leather, and that's the important part.

For starters that's all you need, and if you really don't get on with it, you can always sell for almost the price you paid for the stuff.
(so no great loss)

Max

Well, I started recently as well and although the learning curve is steeper, I'm finding it really rewarding, so I say go for it.
I'm taking it very slow at the moment with only one pass then I switch to one of my DE's to give me a closer shave without destroying my chops. Max is far more experienced and learned than me so all I can really do is offer words of encouragement rather than advice. I got my first straight, a Wapi, from one of the guys on here and was hooked (another one joins the dark side), but I've just bought my second razor from Neil at the Strop Shop, pretty much because from what I've seen, you can't go wrong with him.

Hope that helps. :D

I started off with DE/SE for 2.5 years before I decided I wanted something "more" than a boring shave..now I rotate all my shaving stuff and I enjoy it very much..a straight razor is really something that cant be described other than knowing how to "wield" a steel blade across your face to remove hair..totally worth it if you have the "time and patience"..takes 4-12 months to get the proper technique and yes your face will adjust to the blade nicely..you can feel more where the blade is going if you need to get a a small "spot" as well

Sounds like a plan to me :D I love it and think it´s worth it, some don´t though.

1. I think a 4/8 can be a little small, they´re harder to handle, I think - the smaller tang and grip you get makes it more instable and more difficult to shave with, for me. Mind you, I´ve got chubby hands/fingers, so maybe it´ll suit you with a 4/8.

2. Paddle strop - well, I wouldn´t reccomend it, better buy a nice piece of leather you put on a table and go from there, but I would do as Max says and buy a basic strop from Neil (he´s a fantastic strop maker, belive me and the basic one is very good value for the money). You´ll eventually go nuts with the short strokes you´ll get from a paddle, hanging strop is the way, I think. If you don´t buy a pro loom strop, but lets not go there (I want one :cry: - they´re very expensive).

Young people do use straights too :) Seems to be a very Lincolnshire thing at the moment. Then with nothing else there to really do it isn't surprising! ;)

If I were you, I'd also get on ebay and get a disposable straight too, like a Focus Super - they are cheap and make for an excellent learning tool in terms of technique. You don't then have to worry too much about stropping which will inevitably go wrong at some point and you'll be cutting yourself to ribbons, having bad shaves and generally getting disheartened.

I used a Focus for a couple of years until now I have my Rolls, and before that I had a proper straight which fell victim to the fact that I needed a quicker shave and was pants at stropping. It got shelved but is soon to be rekindled.

Don't expect miracles to start with but you will get it and be very happy that you did.

Al

Al's experience was genuine but demonstrates one of the reasons why disposables are rarely recommended as a stepping stone to using straights, they are convenient but they are much much less forgiving because of it.

I didn't find a 5/8 hh easiest to start with but it does seem to be the most common, as Michael suggests something wider, stiffer and heavier is easier to wield. Carry on the D.E road for now, it might not seem it but it will help in the long term.

TBH I don't find any of my straights any easier to use :lol:

I do find my shavette (the things that take half a DE blade) gives a good shave but its brutal with mistakes, far better to start off on a proper straight to learn technique.

Avoid at all costs the cheap razor shaped objects on Ebay sold new for up to £25, they are made with a low grade steel that will not retain a sharp enough edge.

The only exception to that as I understand it are Gold Dollars which have a decent enough steel but very poor quality control and are often warped, have bits that need to be ground off and will need honing to make them sharp enough to shave.

If you buy from Neil or Steve(?) at the invisible edge then they will have honed the razor so you will know that its shave ready.

As far as strops go a basic Miller stop is more than good enough and you can make a cheap linen type strop from an old pair of jeans.

Well, I like 4/8 razors, but for starting out 5/8 should be easier, maybe 6/8. My recipe for the ideal first razor is 5/8, carbon steel, full (not extra) hollow, round point. Others will disagree with the grind, but the rest is pretty uncontroversial. A word with Neil will pay dividends as he's bound to have something that will fit the bill, and he'll be able to supply an excellent starter strop.

Thanks for all the great replys gents

iv decided to stick with DE shave for now while i live at home with my perants there house there rules at the end of the day & i dont want to be sneaking around bying/using straight razors while im living under there roof. but i will get all the stuff off neil when i do decide to start tho.

i'll hold off straight razor shaving til iv got my own place, also i dont want to rush it to it either i need to read up more on stroping technique and the actualy shaving technique.

slowly slowy catchy monkey as they say

thanks gents

LOL, very true!

Actually I think sticking with DE shaving is wise as it is a good foundation for using straights.

Good choice. Starting straight razor shaving isn't to be taken lightly.

As for the size of the razor. I personally do not think it matters all that much as long as you are able to comfortably handle the razor. I've heard opinions from people saying that 4/8 is more maneuverable because its smaller. I've heard the other side say 6/8 is better because you can see the angle. The truth is it doesn't mean squat unless you are comfortable with the size of the razor and can adeptly move move the razor. You are the one who must be comfortable with the size and heft of the blade. I don't think an internet forum can tell you the specific answer you seek. Your just going to have to try out different sizes and see which one fits. Kind of like shoes.

skinnyjoe313 said:
iv decided to stick with DE shave for now while i live at home with my perants there house there rules at the end of the day & i dont want to be sneaking around bying/using straight razors while im living under there roof.

Probably a wise decision Skinnyjoe....after all, it would be very difficult to explain how your ear ended up on the bathroom floor to them, and try to blame it on a DE. :D

Good afternoon gentlemen and ladies (we wouldnt want to be un-P.C. now would we.) I too have been thinking through the pros and cons of straight razor shaving and I am finding more and more that the pros out-wiegh the cons. After doing some research I have made a list of the things I would like to buy but before I do I thought I'd put it up here. If anyone has any advice about any of the things I have put up or thinks that something should be substituted for something better or thinks something should be included which I havn't thought, of it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the list: Omega pure bristle shaving brush (connaughtshaving.com)
Mitchell's wool fat shaving soap in a dark oak bowl (same website)
Dovo prima silver steel straight razor (mysmokingshop.co.uk)

Thank-you very much.

alexthorpe said:
Good afternoon gentlemen and ladies (we wouldnt want to be un-P.C. now would we.) I too have been thinking through the pros and cons of straight razor shaving and I am finding more and more that the pros out-wiegh the cons. After doing some research I have made a list of the things I would like to buy but before I do I thought I'd put it up here. If anyone has any advice about any of the things I have put up or thinks that something should be substituted for something better or thinks something should be included which I havn't thought, of it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the list: Omega pure bristle shaving brush (connaughtshaving.com)
Mitchell's wool fat shaving soap in a dark oak bowl (same website)
Dovo prima silver steel straight razor (mysmokingshop.co.uk)

Thank-you very much.

You are right to be 'PC' as the post before yours is in fact by a lady. As for your choices I would say they are fine apart from the razor itself. I think everyone here would suggest you obtain a razor that is guaranteed 'shave-ready' rather than an off-the-peg sort. You have probably seen posts by Neil Miller who could provide you with an excellent beginners razor at a reasonable cost (other honemeisters are available ;) ) The MWF soap is also a tad controversial as many feel it's not the easiest soap to lather for a beginner, if you are indeed a beginner. The Omega is a decent brush but you may wish to consider the Vulfix Grosvenor 404, a mix of badger and boar hair as a starter brush.

Introduce yourself in the Welcome Section and you'll be off to an even better start here!! :D

I only shave with straights and the best advice I can give you is get a razor from Neil the razor will be shave ready. His razor start at a reasonable price and go up to very expensive but to start with contact him and get a beginners razor & strop this shouldn't break the bank and start you on a very rewarding was of shaving.

Getting a razor straight from the manufactures doesn't guarantee that it is shave ready Neil's will. In fact the ones I have seen from the factory haven't been shave ready.

Graham

Back
Top Bottom