Completely new to SE Razors - Help Please!!!

Hi Guys,

I have been DE shaving for 18 months and have been looking at some single edge razors as I fancy trying something different.

I wonder if there are particular razors or blades I should look out for. I've tried to find some sort of beginners guide online but to no avail, SE shaving does seem to be a smaller niche.

Is there a noticeable difference when switching from DE to SE?

Many thanks In advance for any info you can give it would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
B

I didn't find much difference to be honest, slightly different cutting angle but still depends what razor you go for. Most recommend 1912 Ever Ready or Gem as a good starting point (streamline if you want go spend a bit more) - one thing I do really like is the noise.

Blades are a bit more limited but those from Connaught are ok, bit pricier but I find they last a little longer than DEs

I don't really favour DE over SE, but it does add something different to the rotation

Then you have injectors of course

You could start with a couple of mild Gems, like the Featherweight or Contour 2, until you get used to the angle. The Micromatics tend to be a bit more aggressive and can be a bit intimidating if you are not used to SE shaving.

Thanks very much for your responses guys. I do fancy a Gem, it's probably going to be the 1912 or featherweight as you have suggested above. Plenty to mull over in the next week or so. Decisions, decisions!

Cheers
B

ChillBill said:
Thanks very much for your responses guys. I do fancy a Gem, it's probably going to be the 1912 or featherweight as you have suggested above. Plenty to mull over in the next week or so. Decisions, decisions!

Cheers
B
I've got quite a few Gems spare across the range. I'm abroad for a few weeks but if you decide on one just PM me for one at "mates rates".

Thanks for your kind offers guys. I took the plunge and went for a Gem 1912, looking forward to giving it a try!

The angle looks a good bit different to that of the DEs, I hope I don't get too many nicks!

Cheers
B

Back
Top Bottom