Commodore Amiga reminiscence

Classic - swapped over to an A500 after an ST. Recall most of those games, sensible, kick off, alien breed, stunt car, moonstone, CM, meglo mania, - that was good. But for me it was syndicate that I awaited most - to think it was one of those ground breaking 'ultra' violent games in the day just as GTA was when it came out.

I awaited syndicate, my power adaptor got some sort of creepy crawly in it the day I purchased syndicate which blew a fuse, and so I had to wait a few days for a replacement to arrive through post - long wait, especially as it was summer holidays, folks were away and I had it all planned, 24/7 syndicate for two weeks

Canon fodder was immense. I had this pirate game don't remember it's name. It was a level platformer and u could upgrade stuff. I use to play treasure island dizzy every pancake day and complete it at like 4+. Miss point and click adventure

I also remember the plethora of joysticks in every shape and size! Powerplay Cruiser was our favourite as it could stand the constant mashing we gave it. Most of the fancier ones were broken in no time.

Cannon fodder was great. I always liked the Christmas Specials that sensible put on the front of Amiga Format. The Sensi / CF crossover, playing football with hand grenades in WWII was best of all.

I haven't read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned...pretty sure you could find an emulator if you want to hark back to those old gaming days, mind you I thought it would be fun to try watching The Six Million dollar Man again the other day, that was a mistake.

Keep those fond memories rose tinted.

You have a point there, Tony. Besides, I haven't been able to get the emulator working. I've grown into a right old dozy Mary!

By 'eck, I forgot about Syndicate. V1, V2 and V3 armour, scouring the 3D cityscape for your target and eliminating him by flamethrower. Proper!

The Kempston style Pro 5000 joysticks with rubber return were the only ones that lasted with me. Anything else wasn't near as nimble in use and got destroyed post haste. What a real boon having two disc drives was for the 2 disc games like Wings where the constant changing was a real pain.

Anybody remember X-copy Pro for copying all the cracked games your mates gave you?

ChopperHarris said:
I also remember the plethora of joysticks in every shape and size! Powerplay Cruiser was our favourite as it could stand the constant mashing we gave it. Most of the fancier ones were broken in no time.

Cannon fodder was great. I always liked the Christmas Specials that sensible put on the front of Amiga Format. The Sensi / CF crossover, playing football with hand grenades in WWII was best of all.

I found the old ATARI console joysticks most resilient, they survived many a round of Decathlon on the C64, quickshot II Pro was also great.

Well after seeing this thread I decided that while I was digging the Christmas decorations out I'd get this out.
Might as well say bye to my weekend now.
Suprised how well it upscales on the tv.
It's on a 42inch Led. Crystal clear!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1387024556315.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387024556315.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 28
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387024573712.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387024573712.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 23
  • uploadfromtaptalk1387024585387.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1387024585387.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 23
TooFunky said:
Well after seeing this thread I decided that while I was digging the Christmas decorations out I'd get this out.
Might as well say bye to my weekend now.
Suprised how well it upscales on the tv.
It's on a 42inch Led. Crystal clear!

North and South! That brings back memories :)

Also - disk stores full of copied disks. Barely an original in sight - just like mine and all my mates. Makes you wonder how the developers made any money :huh:

I had an amiga 600 when I was a kid. Dizzy and cannon fodder were my favourites now ive remembered them. Was also a game where you were a scientist and used to throw like potions at stuff. Went to a car boot every Sunday with my dad, school mate and his dad and buy loads of copied games.

Amiga 1200 for me. Midi expansion added hooked up to my Yamaha synth and running Dr T's from just a floppy. Great fun and great way to make a noise - certainly wasn't music.

At the time I also had my first PC as I was doing a Btec in computing so was doing assembler and Pascal on that at the time and using the amiga for gaming and music until I I started getting to Rexx on it.

Happy days and the reason I work in IT.

Of course I never go near a computer outside of wark nowadays.

I did return home from work one weekend to find my parents had thrown away my A1200, C64, C64 hard drive and tape deck.

Even to this day I've not quite forgiven them.

Gawd, I work in IT, too, as a result of computing being a hobby back in the day ...

I've spend the last ten years of my career distancing myself from the technical wedge of IT. I hate it! Thankfully, now, I enjoy ITIL, NIMM and so on ... and have a Mac at home so anyone who asked "if I could just fix" ... "sorry, I'm not technical" :D

The only programming I did on the Amiga was in AREXX (sp?), where I re-wrote the joystick in/out to redirect data to sound (or was it the MIDI port?) anyway, I figured out how to back up the hard drive to audio cassette. Moot, since I had a SCSI card for the PCMCIA slot and a tape drive from my A3000/UX.

Programming was something I learned from my Dad who used to be a programmer at Provident in the '70s. Punch card back then, and he was a Programmer ... not a Printer. Apparently, the Printers always got it wrong and the whole thing would have to go back for re-printing/punching, so you can imagine the delight when these Programmers found a broken punching machine in the skip and fixed it up.

So, 1981 and one of my folks' family friends had bought their son a ZX81. The ability to play PacMac and Space Invaders at home was astonishing! I worked like hell to save money to buy one and my Dad said he'd go halves with me for Christmas. I had no idea what they actually cost, but come Christmas I handed over my hard earned cash and my Dad went off to buy one ...

Christmas Day, and the box looked big! I opened it and it was a ZX Spectrum! He might as well have bought me a Super Cray, I was so chuffed :D

... until we fired it up and he did his "Dad thing". We had to work through a chapter on programming before loading up a game, play for a while, then reset and work through another chapter. Still, I learned BASIC ... and from that an broad understanding of how programming languages work and are structured. So, "thanks Dad", I just wanted to play Space Invaders and Horace Goes Skiing ... but also, "THANKS, Dad!".

Back
Top Bottom