combs on razors?

As I understand it, the theory was that it presented the beard hair in such a way that the blade could cut it more efficiently; supposedly, this made OC designs better for those with tough beards or for shaving multiple days' growth. Whether any of this has any evidence to support it I don't know. I've just bought a cheap, unbranded open-comb razor based on the Gillette Old type - once I Barbicide it, I'll shave with it and see what I reckon.

'Tain't necessarily true but is generally true that an open comb will shave more closely and should be used with respect for their blood letting desires.

Bechet45 said:
'Tain't necessarily true but is generally true that an open comb will shave more closely and should be used with respect for their blood letting desires.

It depends very much on the model.

A generic Gillette New or 7 o'clock will give a lovely shave with a very low chance of blood letting!

However, a Muhle R41, Joris or Canadian Gillette Old are out to get you. Make no mistake of that!

Tall_Paul said:
However, a Muhle R41, Joris or Canadian Gillette Old are out to get you. Make no mistake of that!

Yup. The comb on the R41 may as well not be there, you could probably just affix a bare blade to a handle and you get the same feel. :-D

OP: A comb just pre-stretches the skin a tiny bit, lines the hairs up to an extent, and smooths the skin imperfections down before the blade passes over it.

A fixed safety bar achieves the same but with more emphasis on the latter "smoothing" aspect and less on hair alignment / presentation. As Paul says, the comb requires slightly more care generally speaking, as little folds of skin / moles etc can pop up slightly in the open gaps.

That might explain why I tend to get more weepers. I thought they were just more aggressive razors. I tend to avoid open comb since I shave 7 days a week so there isn't as much there to remove

NotTheStig said:
That might explain why I tend to get more weepers. I thought they were just more aggressive razors. I tend to avoid open comb since I shave 7 days a week so there isn't as much there to remove

Generally speaking, an open comb requires a lighter touch. I shave seven days a week without problem - unless I bear down.

WELL MY jORIS IS NO SKIN MUNCHER,,,she shaves lovely as does my new head bobs razor

but when i tried the r41,,,boy oh boy...that had to go

I had my first open comb shave (well, part-shave) earlier. I found that a very shallow angle was required, as the thinness of the head put the blade into close contact with my face. I could feel the blade much more than with most guard bar designs, which provided good tactile feedback. In the end, I switched the blade (a German Wilkinson Sword) to my Merkur 34c for the final pass, as it was obvious that the blade was not suited to the open comb razor. I think something a little sharper but with excellent smoothness is required. Overall, though, despite a mild weeper on my jawline, the shave showed sufficient promise to convince me to experiment with a different blade type in the razor.

The combs direct the shaving cream onto the blade to provide more lubrication between the blade's edge and the skin. The comb also exposes the blade in a different way to a closed comb razor. With a closed comb razor the blade exposure is via a space above and below the blade. With an open comb razor, there is no space above or below the blade, so the gaps between the teeth provide the exposure instead.

You will probably find that shaving with an open comb razor is smoother and quicker. With an open comb razor I usually shave with only 1 pass on the neck area, but two elsewhere.

Believe that my favorite Gillette are the '04; 1918 and before. Find them to be excellent shavers and offer a very close and clean shave. Don't Think that any of the other non adjustables come close.

Back
Top Bottom