Collar Stiffeners

I love them. A much underrated item in my opinion.
I can't believe the amount of people I see wearing a shirt with curling collars. Possibly the greatest invention since the Star Bar.

I've got a vast array of them, collected over the years from various suits - all of the thin, plastic, bundled with the shirt variety. They do a job - and I'm happy with them in - but given that I never wear shirts without them, why don't they just stitch them in place and be done with it?

ChopperHarris said:
I've got a vast array of them, collected over the years from various suits - all of the thin, plastic, bundled with the shirt variety. They do a job - and I'm happy with them in - but given that I never wear shirts without them, why don't they just stitch them in place and be done with it?

Maybe they're not sewn in because after several pressings/ironing the outline would start showing through the fabric?

Last edited:
FrankieG said:
Maybe they're not sawn in because after several pressings/ironing the outline would start showing through the fabric?

That's a fair comment and not one I'd considered. I think that the type of interfacing used would make a difference but you could be on to something!

FrankieG said:
ChopperHarris said:

Maybe they're not sawn in because after several pressings/ironing the outline would start showing through the fabric?

That's just it. The cheaper formal shirts do have flimsy plastic stiffeners that are give the collars a notional rigidity, but don't really do the job.

Whilst we are talking about shirts - pockets on formal shirts, why?

I ordered some Charles Tyrwhitt shirts and they came with brass collar stiffeners which I thought was a nice touch.

The collars do still have a slight bend to them though, even with them in.

Paul,
The beauty of those collar stiffeners is you can actually bend them into the position that you would like your collar to sit.

Tall_Paul said:
I ordered some Charles Tyrwhitt shirts and they came with brass collar stiffeners which I thought was a nice touch.

The collars do still have a slight bend to them though, even with them in.

jds said:
FrankieG said:
ChopperHarris said:

That's just it. The cheaper formal shirts do have flimsy plastic stiffeners that are give the collars a notional rigidity, but don't really do the job.

I have always thought that if they have a pocket shirts are not formal.

I buy the same shirts Paul and the collar stays are included with the embossed logo as you say.

No pocket on my formal work shirts. Makes you look like a buss driver otherwise :D

jds said:
FrankieG said:
ChopperHarris said:

I don't like pockets on any shirt.

The most recent set of collar stiffeners I bought were from stiffies.co.uk

Great idea having a magnet to keep your collar in place when not wearing a tie.

Back
Top Bottom