Cold water shaving

Re: RE: Cold water shaving

Rob Dery said:
I switched to cold water shaving a while ago and enjoy and appreciate the end results. I remember reading an old shaving manual from when everyone used straights or DE's which claimed that cold water makes the bristles very brittle and so gives a more efficient shave.

Yep. I read that too. A theory I agree with. The sound is different as your blade slices through the brittle whiskers.

Forgive my noob status but I once read.........

I'm sure it wasn't a dream but I seem to recall something about shaving in hot water but cooling the razor in cold water.

The theory being that a cold blade is sharper as it contracts and hot blade expands so isn't as sharp!

Wha burst the ba said:

I'm sure it wasn't a dream but I seem to recall something about shaving in hot water but cooling the razor in cold water.

The theory being that a cold blade is sharper as it contracts and hot blade expands so isn't as sharp!

That sounds like the kind of rascally thing Vinny would post when he's bored.

joe mcclaine said:
Wha burst the ba said:

hehe!

joe mcclaine said:
Wha burst the ba said:

Honest, I meant that genuinely!!!!!!!!!

It wasn't a big boy that told me and ran away.

Anyway I shaved in cold water. The cold steel razor was nice but really can't comment on the difference either way

Nah, it's just not right. If you go to a barber and ask for a shave, he's not going to wrap a towel soaked in ice water around your face or dip the blade in cold water. By the way, the sharpness of steel is only in part due to hardness and I'm sure you could mount just as valid an argument (can't think of one at the moment) to say that heat will not make a blade less sharp.

All I can say to this is that there be nought so queer as folk. The only time it crosses my mind is when I think my water and lather aren't quite hot enough and I decide to risk not adding more hot water in the knowledge that there are queer folk that shave cold.

Re: RE: Cold water shaving

Peejay said:
Nah, it's just not right. If you go to a barber and ask for a shave, he's not going to wrap a towel soaked in ice water around your face or dip the blade in cold water. By the way, the sharpness of steel is only in part due to hardness and I'm sure you could mount just as valid an argument (can't think of one at the moment) to say that heat will not make a blade less sharp.

All I can say to this is that there be nought so queer as folk. The only time it crosses my mind is when I think my water and lather aren't quite hot enough and I decide to risk not adding more hot water in the knowledge that there are queer folk that shave cold.

Think yourself lucky. Some of us with delicate girly skin can't enjoy the luxury of a hot steamy shave without the unwanted side effect of an attractive razor burn rash.

Having tried all sorts of combos, what I ended up favouring is hot water for the prep, warm water for the lathering and swishing, and ice cold water for the final face rinses.

davylloyd said:
Having tried all sorts of combos, what I ended up favouring is hot water for the prep, warm water for the lathering and swishing, and ice cold water for the final face rinses.

Sure, after shaving, hot water rinse followed by a cold water rinse to close those pores up and then hit it all with alum then hot water rinse to remove the alum salts and open up those pores and then hit it with AS balm.

Your pores must be well knackered after all that malarkey.

Open, close, open, close, forget it.

Tried my first cold water shaver this morning and very much enjoyed it. No razor bumps, no heat rash, great shave and my face felt smooth and less oily afterward :)

Will do it again

This begs the question, how fit are your pores? Perhaps shaving is the veritable derma-gym work out.
On a slightly different note I gather that if you want a right arm like Arnold Schwarzanegga you need to buy the latest Cindy Laupa workout video, not sure how that works?

I have a very thick beard and I need to shave with cold water to lift the hair up and allow me to cut them easier. Also, warm water reddens my skin when shaving for some reason, possibly from extra passes needed

Back
Top Bottom