Cold water shaving

I may just have dreamt this but... do people advocate this in any form or fashion, and for what reason outside of the shaving outside, or the boiler is kaput rationale?

Okeydokey said:
I may just have dreamt this but... do people advocate this in any form or fashion, and for what reason outside of the shaving outside, or the boiler is kaput rationale?

I think cold-water shaving is something to keep for those balmy summer days when you want a refreshing shave. I've found that the quality of the shave is little changed from warm water (at least with my set-up of palmolive stick, semogue boar brush and a straight razor) but it does give you a nice start to a sultry day. Not that we get too many of those in the UK.
It's definitely worth a try.

Try it and see what you think. It takes less time and I find it affects the lather and the shave not a jot. It's more refreshing, I find, and I suffer from no or minimal irritation. I believe there is some science behind it Google it and I am sure you will find multiple results!

Jon

There are some members who use this method most, if not all of the time and swear by it. I mix it up a bit, just for the hell of it mainly. I get good results with the cold water and marginally less irritation, but some mornings I just don't fancy it and other mornings I do. It's just down to a whim.

jds said:
Try it and see what you think. It takes less time and I find it affects the lather and the shave not a jot. It's more refreshing, I find, and I suffer from no or minimal irritation. I believe there is some science behind it Google it and I am sure you will find multiple results!

Jon

So do you prep with hot water and shave with cold, or prep using cold water as well?

I tried shaving with cold water tonight after reading this and was thoroughly pleased with the result. I normally shave every three days otherwise I get really bad razor burn, I only shaved two days ago but I had hardly any irritation at all whilst using cold water so it gets my vote. I used Ingrams shaving cream too so it was extra cool!

To repeat a recent post of mine-
" I vary my shaves between cold water and tepid. I found that using hot water sort of softened up my skin too much and led to razor burn. No razor burn with colder water. Not as luxurious as hot water but I get a very close shave and, as I said, no razor burn. Try it."

Using cold water really improved the quality of my shaves too. My skin just felt great!

In fact , I used cold water exclusively when I used DE razors. I was prone to razor rashes, but cold water sorted it out - that and using slant bar razors.

In fact my grandad used to advocate cold water shaves, saying that barbers only used hot water to add a certain exotic feel to a barber shop shave.

There is science behind it somewhere. Out there.....:rolleyes:

There is also a theory that back in the day access to and availability of hot water was pretty difficult so most men would shave in cold water. I love it - really gets you up and going in the morning.

Jon

Tried it a couple of times but it didn't work for me, especially during the winter, the water is ice cold here.
I don't like shaving with hot water either, somewhere in the middle works best for me.

I switched to cold water shaving a while ago and enjoy and appreciate the end results. I remember reading an old shaving manual from when everyone used straights or DE's which claimed that cold water makes the bristles very brittle and so gives a more efficient shave.

Back
Top Bottom