Clogs: Would You Wear 'Em?

Leather Clog Boots: Would You Wear Them?

• Actually own a pair and love them.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Would love a pair!

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Quite like them but not for me.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Not sure, not sure at all.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Would rather stick my hand in the garden shredder.

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters
G

Gairdner

I don't mean those gaudily painted, turned up toe, fully wooden Dutch fellas. I mean traditional British leather clog boots made by the likes of Walkley's, Phil Howard, The Clog and Shoe Workshop and Trefor Owen amongst others.

Pictures:

1031.png

14340.png

bootb.jpg

workingclog.jpg
derbybootclog.jpg

Boots%20167.jpg
Boots%20164.jpg

Blimey, I've not been to Walkely's for years! They used to be in a sort of mill cum craft cum art place, but that closed down and they moved on somewhere.

Yeah, why not?

I have some like this:

swedish-clog.jpeg

Perfectly good and comfortable below jeans. Just don't expect to do any running in them :D

Booted clogs are (still?) a good favourite amongst New Model Army fans ...

I remember once going to Walkley's when they were in Hebden Bridge (I think that was the place). Mill closed to manufacturing not sure where they're made now :icon_question: my mate bought a pair.
I guess they take some getting used to with the sole being rigid. The ones with Irons on the sole must be a challenge to walk over iron gratings in the street...

The ones in pjgh's photo were all the rage in the 1970's worn with bell bottom jeans and lots of sewn on patches. As I had a pair then I suppose I have to vote in favour.

I do like the look of the English traditional makes - reminds me of that song 'Matchstick men'.

Much call for sea sickness in the 'gairden'....? :icon_razz:

One of those in the nethers gotta hurt ! :icon_cry2:

Hey OS, Walkley's even do a brogue boot.....;)

Right now, it's the Phil Howard ones in the third picture down but in light tan chrome crust with full Vibram sole that are going on the old Amazon wish list.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwOEVeQELEo&feature=share&list=PLEJdxKfzU7JBIS0cliI8A3iMfPuD2u7qY[/video]

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCQgkJJz_tI&feature=share&list=PLEJdxKfzU7JBIS0cliI8A3iMfPuD2u7qY&index=1[/video]

I walk about 35 miles every week and I'm not convinced how comfortable they would be but who knows? they may be I would give them a free trial.

I'm coming round to think that with clogs being an unknown quantity to my feet as far as comfort, walking a few miles with the beastie (yes, I can still do it despite being fat!) and gardening, I'd be better off sticking with another pair of William Lennon's marvellous heavy boots. I still very much like the clog boots though and perhaps if I made it away on holiday one year to an area near a maker and have the chance to try some on, a purchase may still be made. The future is murky, the future is brown (everything turns to brown in the end).

UKRob said:
The ones in pjgh's photo were all the rage in the 1970's worn with bell bottom jeans and lots of sewn on patches. As I had a pair then I suppose I have to vote in favour.

I do like the look of the English traditional makes - reminds me of that song 'Matchstick men'.

I got these in Sweden back in 2003.

Do NOT wear socks with them. Socks cause slippage and even a couple of inch of slippage, the middle of your foot comes crashing down on the heel leading to a short period of intense pain and speaking in tongues! Once the religious fervour passes, a sit down and improving drink is in order.

Early '90s I had the soles ripped off some German Army Para boots and clogged up with a couple of soles from Walkely's. Yeah, the old Hebden Bridge mill. I think it was mid-2000s when that mill shut down and I didn't follow up where they went.

pjgh said:
UKRob said:

I got these in Sweden back in 2003.

Do NOT wear socks with them. Socks cause slippage and even a couple of inch of slippage, the middle of your foot comes crashing down on the heel leading to a short period of intense pain and speaking in tongues! Once the religious fervour passes, a sit down and improving drink is in order.

Early '90s I had the soles ripped off some German Army Para boots and clogged up with a couple of soles from Walkely's. Yeah, the old Hebden Bridge mill. I think it was mid-2000s when that mill shut down and I didn't follow up where they went.

Walkley Clogs are still at Hebden Bridge....;)

Yeah, just down the road, but I never followed up where they went ...

Their old place was part of a complex - craft stuff, picture shops, antiques, cafe, that kind of thing. Nice for an afternoon. In fact, I'm going to Hebden tomorrow, so will look out for the new place and see what's there.

Back
Top Bottom