Cleansing before After Shave?

Is it a good idea to cleanse the skin with a mild soap before applying after shave moisturiser?

The reason I ask is that a good cleanser would get rid of any remaining shaving foam that's sunk in, or shaving oils, and even tiny hairs from the shaving to ensure your pores are clean before you put on your after shave. That makes sense in my head, but what makes sense in my head and what happens in reality are not always the same thing.

Saahil said:
Is it a good idea to cleanse the skin with a mild soap before applying after shave moisturiser?

The reason I ask is that a good cleanser would get rid of any remaining shaving foam that's sunk in, or shaving oils, and even tiny hairs from the shaving to ensure your pores are clean before you put on your after shave. That makes sense in my head, but what makes sense in my head and what happens in reality are not always the same thing.

After your final shaving pass is finished, a quick rinse with the water in the basin, followed by a through cold water splash is plenty enough. Some (most notably Mark Herro aka mantic59 on Youtube and sharpologist.com, whose videos are highly recommended) soak a cotton pad (the sort women use to remove make-up) in witch hazel, and wipe that over the shaven area - it cleans pores and gets any remaining debris out of the way.

Witch hazel or an alum block are both good ideas, especially after a rough shave. Both products are antiseptics, which will help to kill off germs and prevent bacteria growth, and they also tighten the skin and take care of any micro nicks that you may not have noticed. To use the alum, just wet it, rub it over your face and neck, let it sit for a minute, and then rinse it off. Alum is easy and lasts forever. Witch hazel can be applied using either a towel or just as you would any after shave splash. Witch hazel is easy too, cheap, and can be found just about anywhere.

Here's a link to an excellent vendor who sells some inexpensive alum, I use this vendor all of the time and highly recommend him:

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/allumblock.html
(This alum block is nice and cheap, comes in a spiffy case, and has a rounded smooth form that makes it extremely easy to apply.)

So then cleansing and toning would be a step too far then? Even for spot prone skin?

I shall look into some good suppliers of witch hazel, I have a friend who makes custom creams with these kind of things so will see if she can source me some pure stuff at a cheap price.

Thank you for the advice Chris, and Jabberwock also for your advice and link.

Saahil...I've read a few of your posts and it's normal for a novice to think that products are the answer and it's normal for members to bombard novices with advice that works for them.

However your "problems" (unless you have a reaction to certain product ingredients) are primarily due to technique or lack of. Keep it simple, post shave to a simple witchhazel based cleanser like Thayers or Boots and pre-shave to a hot shower, by all means use some soap to degrease the beard which will then allow water to soften it other than that you certainly don't need to exfoliate skin with product you're about to scrape. More important than any product is the study of the shaving guides...85% of shaving issues are due to shaving way too aggressively to get smooth, too hard, too much too often and the remain 15% is shit lather (ing). Practice lathering and keep it down to one or two passes wtg to begin with and no pressure, it won't be close but your aiming for comfort and no reaction, you can increase the closeness when your techniques and understanding have improved.

Do that and your skin will clear up and you'll be a happier bunny.

You make a very fair point.

Having up to this point used cartridge razors, if I'm not very careful I get very spotty very fast.

Once I get on with the DE things will probably change.

Back
Top Bottom