Cleaning my Razors

I looked at all the info on cleaning, boiling, vinegar, 'scrubbing bubbles' (what are they?), polish and thought about this.
For a lot of time Ill have you know.
I cycle a lot too. That's when I think.
And when I clean my bike I use Muc Off or something similar that is still pink.
Hell it works really well on razors I know that.
Little light brushing with a softish toothbrush.
Jobs a goodun'.
Cheers,
Tim

Alright Tim,it's a degreaser/cleaner you buy from halfords I take it? you wanna be very careful using chemicals like that,I would check the ingredients,for me washing up liquid and toothbrush does the job just fine.I give my razors a good clean everytime I replace the blade,that way they don't develop grime build up

That muc off will be either a acidic or alkali detergent. Best used on your bike and not your razor! A one off won't do much but I imagine regular use would cause problems.

I find that hand soap works well along with Belgom Alu or Menzerna PO106FA and they are like new.

It's is fenwicks bike cleaner FS-10
Says free from caustics , acids and solvents and metasillicstes and abrasives and sillicon.
Still sticking to fairy liquid.
Tim

James_uk said:
Alright Tim,it's a degreaser/cleaner you buy from halfords I take it? you wanna be very careful using chemicals like that,I would check the ingredients,for me washing up liquid and toothbrush does the job just fine.I give my razors a good clean everytime I replace the blade,that way they don't develop grime build up

+1

Pick yourself an ultrasonic cleaner up from Lidl, Aldi or Maplins - circa £20
Works wonders on watch bracelets too! (do NOT put the actual watch in though!), you can justify it to her in dorrs by offering to clean her jewellery too! :mrgreen:

CMOT said:
Isopropyl alcohol works a treat for me (also cleans razors)

Me I prefer Meths...........oh sorry we back to cleaning razors........ :shock: :shock:

Muc-off is a biodegradable alkaline based cleaner which brings all parts of my bike up a treat.........and has cleaned a couple of razors. Not sure if I would soak anything in it tho....... ;) .....and it is not for cleaning gold or rhodium plated ones either.

jonboy said:
Works wonders on watch bracelets too! (do NOT put the actual watch in though!), you can justify it to her in dorrs by offering to clean her jewellery too! :mrgreen:

I shall use yours JB if we get a northern GTG up and running!!
I am currently drinking a whisky mac will that work?
Makes me nice and shiny :lol:

This should sort the job out...
imagesqtbnANd9GcRkpH0xCFLQfRCZ9BIvgxr1e4fYcO3iJIfvs5PfyUuQ5iSQomUa.jpg

Lovely. Nice and clean now...... ;)

Slick said:
jonboy said:

I shall use yours JB if we get a northern GTG up and running!!
I am currently drinking a whisky mac will that work?
Makes me nice and shiny :lol:

This should sort the job out...
imagesqtbnANd9GcRkpH0xCFLQfRCZ9BIvgxr1e4fYcO3iJIfvs5PfyUuQ5iSQomUa.jpg

Lovely. Nice and clean now...... ;)

WOOOOOAAAAAHHHHH!

Steady on with that! You might singe the badger hair!!!!! :mrgreen:

Dipesh said:
That muc off will be either a acidic or alkali detergent. Best used on your bike and not your razor! A one off won't do much but I imagine regular use would cause problems.

I won't use it on my bike, that stuff is seriously powerful and makes a mess of paint and bare metals (imo)...

Just like to chip in here, I use vinegar and hot water solution. (for cleaning)
Alcohol (rubbing or any other) is not a great disinfectant on inert surfaces.
(works well on skin, but only effective for 30s or less)
Hepatitis is resistant to alcohol.

You are better of using other stuff, a low concentrate bleach solution is great for disinfecting inert surfaces.
Also Hydrogen peroxide is a good cleaner and kills most germs bacteria.
(both these solutions can affect plating, use at your own risk)

Beware of the difference between "sterilizing" and "disinfecting"
Once cleaned, disinfected & sterilised, unless the razors are in a sterile wrapper during and after the sterilisation process, they won't be sterile, just disinfected. (which is good enough!)
We're talking about disinfecting. I use either hexanios, or Anios DDSH. Both kill most germs/bacteria/fungus.
(including hep and hiv)
Beware, disinfecting will only work on a "clean" surface, so the razor need to be cleaned properly before hand.

So my steps:
  • 1.) soak razor in hot water & vinegar solution.
    2.) clean razor with toothbrush.
    3.) soak again. (optional use a ultrasonic cleaner)
    4.) leave to soak in a disinfectant of choice. (make sure to know minimal "contact time")
    5.) Rince if needed. (depends on the product used)
    [/list:u]
    Step 3 & 4 can be combined. (I do), and polishing can be done between step 2 and 3 or 3 and 4.

Max

Back
Top Bottom