Classic Male Grooming Professional Shave Brush

I purchased the Classic Male Grooming Professional Shave Brush a year ago and heres my feedback for what its worth. The brush lathers well and has kept its shine and colour superbly. I use it every day (sometimes twice) and it hangs bristles down to dry. Unfortunately about five bristles fall out of it every day spoiling my shave, sticking to my face or the sink and driving me daft. The bristles also have been trimmed quite severly so the brush isn't as smooth as it could be. I was hoping that the bristle fall out was just the brush wearing in initially but no. I understand that the brush isn't that expensive but it is performing much worse than cheap £5 Boots or Body Shop ones and I was hoping that it would perform better and last longer.
I contacted the manufacturers Scottish fine soaps and they said they would advise their manufacturers and that they hoped the problem wouldn't spoil my opinion of their brand!!?
Can anyone suggest a better product?

I've always liked the Vulfix 404 Grosvenor, the cheap and cheerful "Bodger", it's a mix of boar and badger, and will set you back around £12.

It's a good all rounder.

Or if you really want to push the boat out and get something really nice, contact Fido and get a New Forest.

Depends on your budget really. Set a price and you'll probably have quite a wide choice.
The 404 Mix as stated is an excellent all round brush or you might want to look at some of the Semogues.
There's a lot of good yet inexpensive brushes out there.
regards, beejay

It is widely said that a brush should not be used daily, it should be allowed to dry thoroughly before re use. I personally think that is sound advice....you could do far worse than ( in no particular order ) Vulfix 404, Semogue 1305, New Forest - I can vouch for the 2 Band & Silvertip and beejay for that bespoke brush that does not have to cost the earth.

fozz77 said:
It is widely said that a brush should not be used daily, it should be allowed to dry thoroughly before re use.

Beg to differ, it's not widely said at all - except on shaving forums which attract the OCD crowd. Previous generations managed with 1 brush just fine and would see many of our obsessions as soft headedness or conspicuous consumption.

Yes, I have a few brushes, but it's one of the things that keep shaving from being a repetitive chore. I use them all for days on end, til I'm ready for a change.

If a good shaving brush can't be used daily for many years, it's not worth the money you paid for it. Sounds like OP has a dud brush, nothing to do with his perfectly acceptable treatment of it.

Drubbing said:
fozz77 said:
It is widely said that a brush should not be used daily, it should be allowed to dry thoroughly before re use.

Beg to differ, it's not widely said at all - except on shaving forums which attract the OCD crowd. Previous generations managed with 1 brush just fine and would see many of our obsessions as soft headedness or conspicuous consumption.

Yes, I have a few brushes, but it's one of the things that keep shaving from being a repetitive chore. I use them all for days on end, til I'm ready for a change.

If a good shaving brush can't be used daily for many years, it's not worth the money you paid for it. Sounds like OP has a dud brush, nothing to do with his perfectly acceptable treatment of it.

I would have to agree with you. I still have my old Culmak brush that, I'm guessing, must be twenty five years old. It was my only brush until this year, and is still OK to use.

My pal has, this year, thrown away his brush due to shedding. This guy is 68 years old, it was his only brush, and his fathers before him !

It is nice to have several though.

Steve

I currently have two brushes, and alternate them, I shave every other day so each brush gets used every four days, I am presently looking to buy another brush, not sure as what to buy yet, but when I get it I will then use a different brush every six days. so the other two will get a longer rest. :icon_smile:

I think the body shop brush is absolutely rubbish, the men-u which is £10 is just a fraction better then body shop brush. Here there is a tabacconist selling lots of wet shaving stuff, i bought a big artamis brush for £20 with drip stand which i find really good and a smaller one same make just as good, less then £15. however i never used an expensive simpsons or other quality brush so can't compare properly but for the time artamis is good

Back
Top Bottom