cjb razor scale project

ok, ive got a cjb razor here im planning on putting a set of homemade scales on.

here is a pic before i started

cymera20130525215717.jpg

cut down the centre at the top.

cymera20130525215910.jpg

then remove handle (there is a little bit that goes through the hole on the inside you need to cut.

then use something to pack the hole e.g. solder etc or i used blue sleeving i had on desk at the time

cymera20130525220002.jpg

cymera20130525220053.jpg

these are the temp test scales

cymera20130525220506.jpg

im making some atm out of walnut that i will eventually put it in, ill post on here when i have made them

Will be doing exactly the same as you once mine arrives.
Let me know how your wee blue spacer works out, do you not think it will allow the blade to wobble a bit?
If that turns out to be the case let me know as I am aiming to make a spacer on the lathe that will be pressed into the hole on the handle. It will also have a hole in it for the pin to go through and it should be a nice smooth fit. It's just as easy to make two at the same time as making one if you wanted one?
I have some nice mahogany, ash, walnut and teak at work but I don't know yet which one to use. I might even see if I can make the scales in such a way that I can replace the scales easilly and quickly.

daz said:
Will be doing exactly the same as you once mine arrives.
Let me know how your wee blue spacer works out, do you not think it will allow the blade to wobble a bit?
If that turns out to be the case let me know as I am aiming to make a spacer on the lathe that will be pressed into the hole on the handle. It will also have a hole in it for the pin to go through and it should be a nice smooth fit. It's just as easy to make two at the same time as making one if you wanted one?
I have some nice mahogany, ash, walnut and teak at work but I don't know yet which one to use. I might even see if I can make the scales in such a way that I can replace the scales easilly and quickly.

If you are going to use 1/16" rod, you could always fill the hole with epoxy and then drill the exact size hole. This will ensuer a snug fit. Having said that, it doesn't really need to be all that snug as a little play seems to disappear when the scales are fitted.

the blue spacer im using is the sleeving they put over cables. well two pieces actually.

if put the second one in half then forced it inside the other one, its a snug fit putting rod through.

nice idea with making a spacer though, let us know how it turns out.

progress report, ive got the rough shape, got many hours of hand sanding ahead

A little tip I use when restoring straight razors that have a larger pivot hole, what I've found other than making an exact bush to fit the enlarged hole, sometimes the perfect fit for the hole plus a really snug and perfect fit for a 1/16 rod or pin will be a Johnsons baby ear bud, strip off the cotton wool, and when fitted tightly you can cut it really neat and tight and flush to the face of the tang while seated in the pivot.

Jamie.

pugh-the-special-one said:
A little tip I use when restoring straight razors that have a larger pivot hole, what I've found other than making an exact bush to fit the enlarged hole, sometimes the perfect fit for the hole plus a really snug and perfect fit for a 1/16 rod or pin will be a Johnsons baby ear bud, strip off the cotton wool, and when fitted tightly you can cut it really neat and tight and flush to the face of the tang while seated in the pivot.

Jamie.

thanks for that tip.

mine took inspiration from the Russian dolls (Matryoshka)

by cutting the sleeving down, and putting it inside more sleeving of the same size i end up with a lot smaller hole

Any update on the walnut scales for these?

Goody54321.

shanky887614 said:
ok, ive got a cjb razor here im planning on putting a set of homemade scales on.

here is a pic before i started

cymera20130525215717.jpg

cut down the centre at the top.

cymera20130525215910.jpg

then remove handle (there is a little bit that goes through the hole on the inside you need to cut.

then use something to pack the hole e.g. solder etc or i used blue sleeving i had on desk at the time

cymera20130525220002.jpg

cymera20130525220053.jpg

these are the temp test scales

cymera20130525220506.jpg

im making some atm out of walnut that i will eventually put it in, ill post on here when i have made them

got the rought shape, need a lot of sanding down. ive been quite busy including nights so havent done much with it.

(ill admit i was working more than im supposed to by law last week)

so far

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370456090770.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370456090770.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom