Choosing & Using a Straight Razor - pt3, Hones

The blade on TI Le Dandy is quite stiff, believe me. I would use the word flexible among the last things to describe it. Regarding wire edge, I have not seen it and even if it forms it can be honed away or stropped away on either on that diamond paste or chromuim oxide after honing.

Regards,

Aleksander

A stiff blade - thats good then. But why go to the bother of generating a wire edge anyway? In the end analysis, you have your way, I have mine, and countless different people have theirs - if they work for us, that's all that matters. That's about all I've got to say on the topic.

Regards,
Neil

I agree. The aim is to reach from the point A ("dull edge") to the point B ("sharp edge"). How it's done doesn't matter that much at all as long the result is achieved. Though like it was said for someone like you who has honed thousands of razors and during that time established certain procedure or method which become preferable while for me who only rarely hones a razor it's more try and see if it works method because in the meantime I usually forgot how I had done it previous time :oops: .

A fantastic intro for anyone wanting to understand how many different type of hones there are, the pro's and con's plus how versatile all these stones are, being a carpenter i've spent all my life basically using one combination stone, till I started collecting custom knives many years ago, and now I have as many as 4 different stones for working on my razors. Being quite new to razor restoring I took on board what Neil said and invested in a couple of King stones and haven't looked back since.

Regards Jamie.

That's right Andy, during my apprenticeship my teacher Mr Bill Murphy he used the repetitive method of teaching, at the time it drove many of us up the wall but when I look back it's something that certainly works, we all had to learn to sharpen our own saws and sett the teeth, to sharpening your chisels and planes day in day out, I only work with about four chisels now, and long gave up using saws you sharpen yourself, but still have a thing about Norris planes, even though I dont own one, but being a cabinet maker I know you have more saws and chisels because you simply need them, and my only claim to fame is I also share a birthday with probably the worlds greatest cabinet and furniture maker June the 5th, Mr Thomas Chippendale.

Regards Jamie.

c97a8570.png

Back
Top Bottom