chips

6029884890_a17bc2f6ff_m.jpg

Hello all
Just got this but its come with the un advertised addition of a chip out of the blade its a cw dahlgren.
The chip is about two mm across by one mm deep what do you think chaps one for the bin or a possible fixer upper.

It could be taken out, all it will do is make the width less, It just whether you will still like shaving with it with such a narrow blade, It should not effect the way it shaves as is a a faux frameback so no real flex in it anyway, If its taken away what width of blade are you left with

Difficult to tell from the photo really. The trouble with losing much width is that the cutting angle tends to increase which could lead to a pretty ropey shave if it goes too far, especially if you breadknife the chip out or tape the spine to avoid putting wear on it. You wouldn't lose anything by having a go, but it would be hard work, Swedish steel and all that.

fatboy1971 said:
look ive had an idea, give it to me and i will dispose of it for you, lol. pm me if ya need my address

Thanks that's a very kind offer :icon_razz:
will give the bread knife a go and see what happens.The photo does not show the razor off very well.
Will post some more pictures tomorrow has any body seen this type of pointed monkey tail before.

Most of the Dahlgrens of that type I have seen have the same tail - from memory, there is a seam on the underside - the tail/tang looks like it was pressed out of a sheet of metal and folded over.

Regards,
Neil

Neil Miller said:
Most of the Dahlgrens of that type I have seen have the same tail - from memory, there is a seam on the underside - the tail/tang looks like it was pressed out of a sheet of metal and folded over.

Regards,
Neil

Your spot on there Neil looking at it closer there is a seam so it must be pressed out of a sheet.
So the shape of the tail must have been created by the limitations of the process.

6031269235_66688349fa_m.jpg

slightly better photo as arrowheads advice i have had a bash at the breadknifing which has so far removed half of the original chip leaving about one mm diameter chip left.
The blade had a smile to it so i just took the chip away rather than take it completely flat would it be viable to carry on this way and then get it honed or is it a waste of time.

Well, it's your call. I'd sort of assumed that you'd be doing the honing, but if it's a matter of sending it off then you may as well leave getting rid of the chip for the honer. The thick edge from the breadknifing will incur an extra charge anyway.

If it's very near the heel I would be tempted to step the blade as the extreme heel doesn't get much use anyway. I've done this before as a last-ditch attempt to save a blade and IMO it's better than shedding some 1-2 mm of blade depth overall. Have to be careful though, it's brittle stuff! :icon_eek:

Back
Top Bottom