Chicago Shenanigans

Hiya,

I rarely ever comment on the local Chicago news, but this thing is really bugging me! Happened just recently and talk about a building shit storm....whew.

So to keep from getting overly pissed off I will purposely not go into a lot of detail, but there is plenty of things to search for if interested. Its about the Little League World Series from last summer. The best US team (from Chicago this year) lost in the Finals to the South Korean team.

Now this team called Jackie Robinson West is from a black part of the city and it was amazing to see the local kids doing so well during the tournament. Really, it was a huge deal here for everyone, black and white and whatever. Heh, both Pro teams were crap, so that helped exposure too.

So last week after a very reluctant Little league Committee investigation (bad PR), the team was determined to have broken the rules regarding recruiting illegal/invalid team players in order to stack the deck. In this particular tournament the rules are extremely strict about no ringers from outside the local area of the teams.

Ok....cut and dry. They got caught cheating and they were stripped of the US Title , which was then given to the team they beat. In this case those are the rules and that's what will happen. Teams can also be kicked out for using overage kids as well, which happened to a mostly white team from Georgia this year. In this case it was too many of the older kids on the team, not any that were overage. Same punishment though.

Rules like this apply to both black and white teams and there's no racist inclination on the least. You break the rules and get caught, you pay the price, no matter who you are.

So Reverend Jesse Jackson gets involved and there goes the neighborhood. No, you probably have no idea who this guy is, but he is famous in Chicago and has been for over 40 years. He has an agenda and this sad event figures to get him some mileage. He goes on to say this was racially motivated and forgets about the rules and what really happened and why. Everyone creates a new universe. It's driving me nuts here.

Ok, there is a lot of links to this whole magillah but I can't be typing any. I am too disgustipated to look at anything else right now. Heh, there's since been a rally for the kids and someone is having rings made for them. I think Jesse suggested a statute of em somewhere. Seriously. Hell, even the Mayor is getting involved in planning something sweet. Mayoral election in a few weeks is just coincidental.

They still consider themselves Champions, even though they have no title and have forfeited the whole season I believe. Talk about an alternate Reality. SHEEEESH!!!

One thing in particular I saw typed that struck home was the fact that the way this is being handled only confirms to a racist what he thinks he already knows. Now that is nasty.

Anyway, it's gonna get even uglier before lots of people become sane again. Everything coulda been done with by now if only certain people had said they screwed up This has not happened so far, although the Georgia Little league guy said just that in his case. Yep, said he owned that rules violation, which was impressive. Heh, I thought maybe a few of you might find this interesting in a horrible kinda way.
Martin

In the 4months that the season lasts, you would think that the "adult" officials would have check on the ages of kids playing, specially after it looked like the City was going to have a winning team.
The kids are the losers, but what happens to the Officials who caused (or hide) the problem?

Ah! thanks for taking the time to type that at us, Martin. Now I understand what is going on - I got the elephant's arse of the story from the two news paper articles I read. Thank f**k it's not summer time and very hot!

I'm quite fascinated by American politics at the moment having watched both House of Cards and the full series of West Wing in the last couple of months - or the last couple months as you would say.

I've no idea how accurate the stortlines are but certainly Jesse Jackson's involvement here looks as though it could have come from West Wing. I come to see why the US constitution distinguishes between Church and State - Jackson just comes across as a typical opportunist - of the worst kind.

The UK had it's own politicised 'Reverend' Ian Paisley who died last year - a real thunder and brimstone man who epitomised the extremes in the religious divide in N. Ireland. Strangely, this was played down to a great extent in his obituries.

Guess that's just the way the game of politics is played bro Merkin. Any politico who achieves prominence on a single issue of discontent keeps on playing the same tune on that single string banjo. No matter what the issue is. It's unfortunate that they often devalue what may originally have been a genuine problem.

Just don't you be letting any of this stuff get to you m8. We love you as your usual wise, humourous, sometimes acerbic ( that's limey for cranky you see ) observer of and sometimes reporter on American life. Just think of yourself as my very own 'Letter From America' , there you go, feeling better already, ain't you.

JohnnyO. :icon_razz:/.

Johnus said:
The kids are the losers, but what happens to the Officials who caused (or hide) the problem?

UKRob said:
I'm quite fascinated by American politics at the moment having watched both House of Cards and the full series of West Wing in the last couple of months - or the last couple months as you would say.

I've no idea how accurate the stortlines are but certainly Jesse Jackson's involvement here looks as though it could have come from West Wing and your opinion of him is on the money.

Just think of yourself as my very own 'Letter From America' , there you go, feeling better already, ain't you.

Well Johnus, the officials are not bringing up that whole bummer of a thing about the cheating. These boys is the Champions, Goddamn it!! Forget about that rules and forfeiting crap. Those officials should be the ones having eggs thrown at em.

Rob, I saw the West Wing series and the writing was good for the most part. Lots of magical moments to be sure. As you know it was from the Democrat President point of view.

In reality, the Republican Party is made up mostly of various degrees of.....heh, i was gonna type assholes but I won't. I guess you would call them the 'Business' Party, since that's who they mostly represent and work for. They are also a Religious Christian Right driven bunch, so it's better if you like Jesus. Jewboys ain't welcome in either part of the Congress. Yep, no Jews at all from about 275 Republican Congressmen and Women!

.Also, they are relentless when it comes to their agenda......they never stop. Obama couldn't deal with them harshly enough for whatever the reason and he let them piss away his Presidency by not working with him at all. Heh, just my opinion obviously.

Hiya doin Johnny,

The Reverend has come a long way. He has learned to speechify his opinions more eloquently now but he was something in the 70s.

You're right about this story easily being seen on tv fiction show. Only thing is, it might not quite be possible to believe......heh.

I will be proud to think of you as my Limey Pen Pal as you suggested, Keep in mind I always imagine a real strong Cockney accent when i read your stuff. Keeping it real. Sort of like this:

''Guess that's just the bloody way the bloomin' game of politics is played bro Merkin. Any politico 'oo achieves prominence on a singgle issue of discontent keeps on messing the same tune on that singgle Emperor Ming banjo. No matter wot the issue is. It's unfortunate that they often devalue wot may originally 'ave been a genuine problem.

Just don't yer be lettin' any of this stuff cop to yer m8. We luv yer as yor usual wise, humourous, right, sometimes acerbic ( that's limey for cranky yer spot ) observer of and sometimes reporter on a septic tank life, init?Just fink of yorself as me right own 'Letter From America' , there yer go, feelin' better already, right, ain't yer''.

Martin/Marty/Merkin

Hmmm, kinda " Dick Van Dyke meets Skippy the Bush Kangeroo " soundalike there my windy city brother. I doubt that Rab C Nesbitt has ever sent any of his TV programmes over on a missionary journey to the former colonies, however if you ever see a clip of him on u tube that's pretty much how I growl. Cept I don't scrub up as well as him !

Keep the ( sometimes uncertain ) faith bro, wasn't easy for Mark Twain either.

JohnnyO said:
I doubt that Rab C Nesbitt has ever sent any of his TV programmes over on a missionary journey to the former colonies, however if you ever see a clip of him on u tube that's pretty much how I growl. Cept I don't scrub up as well as him !

When JohnnyO met Maplin from Chicago?

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV42LckQNqk&t=1m10s[/video]

Boab said:
JohnnyO said:
I doubt that Rab C Nesbitt has ever sent any of his TV programmes over on a missionary journey to the former colonies, however if you ever see a clip of him on u tube that's pretty much how I growl. Cept I don't scrub up as well as him !

When JohnnyO met Maplin from Chicago?

Hah, thanks for that Boab,

Never seen him before but I gotta say he made me smile. It woulda been better with a libretto, but you can't have everything.

So Johnny, you're a little rougher around the edges than Mr. Nesbitt? Now that would be something to hear and see in person.

Monty

Rougher you say ? Compared to Govan's finest I'm, in his terms, " pure scum and I know it ! " In my world he's a right smoothie.

& thanks Boab for locating and posting the clip.

Hiya,

So it took a month for Little League Baseball to decide on what to do and they were pissed. Yeah, pissed that this fight was even started and that these JRW guys even hired a damn lawyer.

Anyway, that's what it seems like to me. Basically what they decided on was for the 6 team area that made up a whole District to be assimilated into the other existing Districts. Brutal for the people running that place.

No one has still admitted any wrong, and those teams are talking about joining a different league. See if there's anymore fireworks to come.

Here's one article and there's plenty more to look for. Maybe read that DNAinfo link too in the article.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/jackie-robinson-west-s-district-disbanded-by-little-league-international-035039601.html​

Bechet45 said:
Martin, is that huge crowd there to watch a Little League game or do the kids play before/after an adult game? Either way, that's quite a crowd.

JohnnyO said:
Is that you waving about 23 in from the left in the 15th row from the rear ? The kinda crazy looking guy with the REAL smooth chin ?

JohnnyO. :icon_mad:/.
Heh, good guess Johnny but no. I am actually easy to spot since I seem to be the only one to choose my favorite shirt design. Try to find the Jewish looking guy wearing the short sleeve Elvis dressed as a bullfighter shirt who is sitting at the table playing poker with the dogs. Of course the material is very thick velour. Eleganzia!

Carl, I think the Little League World Series Final game is always assured of drawing a LOT of people. The way it's done is to schedule it in the afternoon, following a 4 hour marathon consisting of many Benny Hill impersonators. Yeah, you can imagine how popular this would be with the audience and so the game is right after that's over. Hell, they could probably fill 100,000 seats just for the Sir Benjamin Tribute.

I think there's only somewhere around 30,000 game spectators in the US city it takes place in. How many is that in Limey measurements?

Martin

Here's another link with some insight about how a District is run with a little bit of the money angle included. Heh, the LL Execs really layed into some of the former leaders regarding how poor a job they did overall.

Here; http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150311/roseland/jackie-robinson-wests-parent-district-disbanded-by-little-league-intl

Back
Top Bottom