Chelsea fans

Fido said:
Why do Chelsea fans boo each time Rio Ferdinand touches the ball?

It goes back to comments he made in the John Terry/Anton Ferdinand saga and the fact that he referred to Ashley Cole as a choc ice at the time.

Pete

Trust me, odds on and with a few songs as well!

It's a bit like the welcome that Ashley Cole gets when we play at The Emirates.

Pete

The above sums it up perfectly.

Although the booing was rather loud i didn't partake, as during the game i was trying to get Raffa's attention so as to order my paella and bottle of over priced cheap red wine along with around 11,000 others in the Matthew Harding stand.

SAINT12661 said:
joe mcclaine said:
Because he's an absolute cock.

A quick question please.

Did you hold the opinion that "he's an absolute cock" before the Anton Ferdinand episode?

What a silly question.

The 'drug test' shenanigans was before the Anton Ferdinand episode.

Aren't they all as bad as each other? None of the players mentioned are exactly exemplary members of society, their footballing talent aside.

I've never really understood the nature of football crowds, and the fact they have to be physically separated from opposing fans. I understand passionate support, but just don't see it how can escalate into wanting to physically attack someone who supports another team. I am aware that it is a minority who are like this, but I still don't get it.

Anyway, that's enough thinking out loud from me, I think

Jon

I'm very good friends with a well known member of the Welsh international football association and ex professional player, and he as always told me that modern day professional footballers are some of the worst people in society, and he once told me if they didn't earn a living from playing football they would probably end up in prison. And when I look at some high profile players and their families like Wayne Rooney Joey Barton and even the England captain Gerrard I would totally agree with him, it's only their power influence and cash that actually keeps them out of trouble most of the time.

Jamie

jds said:
Aren't they all as bad as each other? None of the players mentioned are exactly exemplary members of society, their footballing talent aside.

I've never really understood the nature of football crowds, and the fact they have to be physically separated from opposing fans. I understand passionate support, but just don't see it how can escalate into wanting to physically attack someone who supports another team. I am aware that it is a minority who are like this, but I still don't get it.

Jon

I was a bit 'nawty' as Danny Dyer would say, in the 80's and 90's.

Just one of those things really. Young lads wanting to prove themselves.

Stick a load of mates together who want to let off steam after a hard week's graft, fill them with passion for their team and a crate of ale and send them on a 'football special' (the worst trains ever) to a town 100 miles away and kaboom!

I even did it at International level, battling North Africans in Marseilles, Poznan Nazis in Katowice and Napoli's Ultras in Rome.

Brilliant times.

It wasn't all just about the fighting though. It was about the music and the fashion as well. The top 'boys' weren't just the ones who were wading into the ranks of the opposing fans, they were the ones who had just spent £800 on a Stone Island jacket or who had been to see Oasis at an 'invite only' gig.

Basically, it was the Mods and Rockers of our time.

jds said:

Jon

It's base line tribalism which doesn't really occur with other sports and can only really manifest itself when you watch your own team as a collective.

antdad said:
jds said:

Jon

It's base line tribalism which doesn't really occur with other sports and can only really manifest itself when you watch your own team as a collective.

I do understand that comment, but I have watched England play rugby in Scotland and Wales and there was a definite base line tribalism there, but nothing that felt threatening. Those Scottish and Welsh supporters were no less tribal than football fans, and many probably despised England, but, in my view, they understood how to channel those emotions and also the fact that we were watching a game - important of course, but an irrelevance in the wider scheme of things.

Jon

National front got in with football gangs in the late 60s early 70s and without the long story football hooliganism was born

And to some effect the attitudes are still their

Sad but true

41BWH5V5KRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

I suspect most of the above is bollox, but it's an entertaining read, as is the one below.

51ZYKHHAV9L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom