Cheap shaving soaps?

I've been working my way through the cheaper end of shaving creams, trying out quite a number, but have been wondering about soaps.

I have a Palmolive stick and an Arko one, but I don't really class them as soaps.

I also picked up a Boots soap bowl for just over £3.

I know of a couple more:

• Wilkinson Sword bowl
  • Erasmic
I couldn't see too many others though. I was thinking more along the lines of the Williams Mug Soap.

Any others for < £5?

You can try and get hold of some Monsavon if you have someone that goes over to France, or get one from eBay at a slightly absurd postage cost.

But you've already tried the best cheap soap there is - Palmolive stick. At that price (from a UK supermarket) and for the amount and quality of soap you get (50g), you can't go wrong.

I'm also not sure how you can not call Palmolive and Arko soaps - they are just in stick form.

If you want to go <5£ and stick to the high street then you probably have already mentioned them. Erasmic in the tubs is a very nice soap and you can get this for about £2 if you have a Bodycare near you.

If you don't mind using the internet then you can get Figaro, Prep and Fitness for Men for <5 each although obviously the postage will may knock them over a fiver. These are all Italian croap style soaps and are between £4 and £5 each and all very good.

Also via the internet, Gifts and Care sell La-Toja and Lea shave sticks for a couple of pound each but then you have the p+p from Spain to add in and connuaght sell the Wilkinson Sword sticks for £5 for 2 (i think).

cruciate said:
You can always go into tk maxx. They frequently have pecksniffs soap and it's hateful stuff.

Is pecksniffs any good? Can you get a decent lather from it like most tallow soaprs or good veggies?

Cheers all, some interesting suggestions so far.

What I mean about the sticks is they tend to be much softer than a traditional soap. I can't imagine rubbing the Boots or my MWF directly onto my face as you can/do with those.

I was just interested to know if there was an equivalent puck-style thing in the UK to Williams.

There seems to be a plethora of creams in the £2-3 bracket (Palmolive, Ingrams, Boots, Arko, etc) but almost no 'proper' soaps.

In fact, most of the soaps that come in a puck form are at the higher end (price-wise at least), although you can pick up stuff like a MWF re-fill for around £6.

Don't even think about the blue Wilkinson Sword bowl.
The Palmolive stick is an absolute bargain and appears to have the right ingredient list of stearates and tallowates.

cooktuk - heard the same about the Wilkinson's and the Palmolive sticks are good (especially for the money).

NotTheStig - Fume? I couldn't see anything on there by that name.

Chris - Must be colder in Norfolk than the South Coast. A bit of pressure leaves an impression on the sticks, not on even the Boots soap though (and I doubt that's been triple-milled).

V
longplay said:
What I mean about the sticks is they tend to be much softer than a traditional soap. I can't imagine rubbing the Boots or my MWF directly onto my face as you can/do with those.

Hi there,

You're right about some sticks being on the softer side and yeah, those are easier to load the whiskers up with. I believe some companies will use a different formula with their sticks and pucks, but some will keep things the same. For example, I'm pretty sure DR Harris has a shaving stick made from the same triple mill very hard version as the puck. So that would mean extra time loading to get the right amount of product.

Maybe a few years ago I used soap pucks like MWF and IK and DR Harris as shave sticks, just rubbing em on my face. Loading was slow but the performance was as good as usual. Heh, I was on a shaving stick method kick back then.

Far as cheap but good soaps go, the VDH is a good one. Better than average performance for only a few bucks. Also, the Klar Kabinett was a great value, but very tough to find now.

Hope that helps,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom