Chatsworth razor - how do you hold it?

Although I've been using the Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Barley chrome razor on and off since June last year, I do tend to find it awkward to hold at times. I usually tend to hold it more towards the bulbous end - fore, middle, and ring finger on one side, thumb on the other side (opposite the ring finger), and little finger underneath the end of the handle for extra support.

But I'm going to try holding it more towards the narrower end, but still keep the little finger underneath the end.

If you are a Chatsworth user, how do you hold it?

My favourite razor - using it for the 30 Day Rule - is my EJ Chatsworth chrome . Its balance is just right for my hand.

I hold the razor between thumb and forefinger at the point of balance and use my little finger and the one adjacent, one in front, one behind, to guide it/maintain angle round my face. This later is hardly used at all because the razor follows the contours, pivotting at the point of balance - I guess I use them more for stability.

For my education - what is 'barley' about these razors? English Shaving sheds no light.

"what is 'barley' about these razors? English Shaving sheds no light. "

The grip on the handle. The overlapping tiny scales are supposed to look like the overlapping grains on an ear of barley.

Thanks, Canuck. Mine is as smooth as a baby's bum.

English Shaving describe mine as, "This smooth all metal Edwin Jagger Chatsworth razor is machined from solid brass, hand polished and triple plated with copper, nickel and blue white chrome." I learned on its second outing that the smoothness means one's fingers must be absolutely, scrupulously soap free - t'was but a minor slip but straight into my lip.

For down:

DSCN2259.jpg

For up:

DSCN2260.jpg

With apology for pics.

Bechet45 said:
Thanks, Canuck. Mine is as smooth as a baby's bum.

I might be wrong, (I've only owned 2 Jaggers) but my understanding is that it's not a Barley, (maybe a mistake on English Shaving's part) or if it is, it's maybe an evolution of it where they've kept the name only, and not the pattern. Not sure which.

Edwin Jagger razors used to be all smooth handled a couple of years ago. Then after a while (maybe after feedback from slippery handed gents?) a "lined" version of the 87/89 handle came out around late 2010, that basically had ridges running the length of it. About a year ago the "Barley" came out next to much fanfare, it was a response to further comment on slippery handles and more grip was available thanks to the "wheaty" pattern.

Sounds like yours is a chrome Chatsworth I think.

mine is definitely lined....very nice it is too

i believe the barly mentioned is the pattern on the shaft...much like a fine knurled finish

of course like always i may be wrong

i hold mine the same way fido does.

I think mine is officicially a loxley, but the shape is largely the same general shape, and therefore i hold it the same way.

Great razor

With information like that, Canuck, I went hunting. Here are the results

[attachment=4322] priced at £55.99 at a well known store

and

[attachment=4323] priced at £71.99 at the same well known store (but out of stock).

That is expensive barley knurling!

Anyways, my guess is that the grip stays the same.

Attachments

• chatsworth chrome.jpg
    chatsworth chrome.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 18
  • chatsworth chrome barley.jpg
    chatsworth chrome barley.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 23
Yeah there's probably minimal grip difference but I think that grip was just one of the ideas behind the change, looks came into it as well I'd guess. It's a pretty design anyway. I wasn't aware it was such a big difference in price.
I now see you only got the "Barley" reference from Tim's post, and not from your own razor. I think we're all good then and we know who's got what!

Merkur got the knurling thing right by the way... now that's a grip.

AFAIK they don't make the Chatsworth Barley anymore.

The Chatsworth is a lovely razor though. Gives a very nice shave. Up there with my best (though not my utter favourite).

Bechet45 said:
AFAIK ?

And what is your favourite?

AFAIK = As far as I know.

Very difficult to pick a favourite.

In terms of 'biggest bang for the buck' I think I'd have to go for a Gillette New. Nothing shaves me better for less money than a New.

However I love shaving with a rhodium plated Gillette Aristocrat (don't know why just do) and all the Ikons I have give a lovely shave as well.

Another vintage guy, eh?

I discovered this morning why I didn't like vintage razors back when they weren't vintage - boar hair brushes! Guaranteed I was given a cheap, cheap brush as a kid and not much was synthetic back then, so I assume it was boar hair or similar. I failled to get a good lather this morning (and I know how with a badger brush) and thus a bouncy 1st Pass. What did it remind me of? Being fourteen or fifteen again! Slashed face for the 4th Form Dance!

So just maybe those vintage razors are not as bad as I consider them to be, after all. The handles are still way too short for me, though.

I keenly await a newly nickel plated Tech head on a l o n g kingwood handle from US. That may well persuade me of the merits of vintage razors - well, heads, anyway.

I think Fido's pictures say it all, because it is mainly where to put the thumb, which is on the narrower part of the handle. I tried this and had a better grip.

By the way, when I first ordered the barley handle last year from the English Shaving Co. I mentioned that it wasn't featured on their website. They said that they could still make a barley pattern, unless they had the last few in stock. So it may be worth asking them if the barley pattern is still available on the Chasworth, because they could make one.

Back
Top Bottom