Changing Knots

jds

I have an oldish Vulfix brute of a brush with a very floppy badger knot that is no good to man nor beast. I have just taken delivery of a cheap, but large Omega brush with a large, dense Boar knot that I wish to put into the Vulfix.

Now then - I am happy about the process to remove the knot that is going in the bin - I shall use the steam method. However if I use this method to remove the new knot that I want to use, will it degrade the bristles at all?

Interested to get people's opinions on this as I don't want to screw it up....

Ta...

Jon

Thanks for that Scott, I had forgotten!

Best way is to cut knot of handle you want tight to the handle, then drill out the centre of remaining knot before removing remaining bristles.

After that, clean the hole with a dremmel.

To remove the Boar knot I would try to cut away the handle by using a dremmel or similar with shallow North to South cuts around it, trying to remove the handle for the knot instead of the knot from the handle.....

Hope that makes sense, I actually knackered two nice brushes with steam. The Butterscotch Simpson had me crying though..... :-(

You need to ensure the steam in very wet - pan with large surface area, plenty of water at simmering temperature and keep the brushes in a steam chamber, well away from the water surface and from the source of heat. Steam them gently over a longer period.

I shall be re-knotting three more brushes at the weekend, hopefully.

Talking of restoration as well as re-knotting, what is the best/handiest Dremel for the job and which tools should I buy to go with it? With Spring almost here, I shall be setting up my restoration w/shop - moving the garden bench to a place to maximise sun time and clamping a 3" vice to one arm.

Hairsuite said:
Thanks for that Scott, I had forgotten!

Best way is to cut knot of handle you want tight to the handle, then drill out the centre of remaining knot before removing remaining bristles.

After that, clean the hole with a dremmel.

To remove the Boar knot I would try to cut away the handle by using a dremmel or similar with shallow North to South cuts around it, trying to remove the handle for the knot instead of the knot from the handle.....

Hope that makes sense, I actually knackered two nice brushes with steam. The Butterscotch Simpson had me crying though..... :-(

It does make sense. For removing the boar knot intact I have seen a method with the very same Omega 49 brush that I have - drill from the base and then use a dowel and a hammer to knock it out. That looks to be a workable method for me, so will give it a bash. I bought two of the brushes so I've got one failure in my back pocket.

Cheers for the reply...

Jon

And we are off.... the process has begun.

Taking out the boar from the Omega was a piece of cake.

Drilled a hole in the base of handle, inserted a chunky bolt that was lying around and tap tap with a rubber mallet and hey presto....

20140313211642_zpshfenkibf.jpg

Then the more worrying part of removing the old Badger knot from the handle that I want to keep and use.

So, I went with the steam and, based on Bechet's advice I used a stockpot. 35 mins on a rolling boil and the know came out with a little tug. The handle is in tact, without any damage.

20140313211743_zpsf31d2pnz.jpg

20140313214113_zpsmbpyxn9c.jpg

There is some residual adhesive that the dremel will get rid off, I am sure, and then it's time to move on to removing the black collar.

To Be continued......

Am I seeing right, Jon? You appear to have your brush standing upright in boiling water. If people are doing that, no wonder their handles are being damaged!! The brush MUST be put in a steamer above the boiling water - a Japanese/Chinese bamboo steamer for a few quid at your local international food shop or supermarket or Amazon, is perfect. Buy the right size for your pan, mind!

You said "rolling boil" which to me sounds entirely to fierce.We need a gentle boil, simmer, to create soggy wet steam.

If you have a scraper knife handy when you pull the knot, you can get most of that residual stuff out while the glue is still soft - but be quick! Though I've never tried it, I suppose you could put the handle back in the steamer.

How on earth are you going to get the knot out of that cup?

'Tis dead easy, Carl. You simply enrol it as a member on here and the cutting wit will 'ave it out it jiffy whereas to enter it onto Tadger & Splayed, the poor thing would disintegrate before the severe immoderation.

I would put a mug in the saucepan and place brush in said empty mug. Then steam

That vulfix handle is ace agreed comes with a massive floppy knot

Al, get that damned avatar changed, please! it unnerves me greatly and you know I am of a sensitive disposition......:angel:

I've successfully separated the black plastic collar from the knot itself using he same simple method which I have described to JDS, that good and determined fellow. Aye, just Dremel the rest of the glue shite out - it'll be fine.

Looking forward to seeing this beastie unfold as I do like those big Omega boar knots - great for face lathering anything.

Bechet45 said:
You need to ensure the steam in very wet - pan with large surface area, plenty of water at simmering temperature and keep the brushes in a steam chamber, well away from the water surface and from the source of heat. Steam them gently over a longer period.

I shall be re-knotting three more brushes at the weekend, hopefully.

Talking of restoration as well as re-knotting, what is the best/handiest Dremel for the job and which tools should I buy to go with it? With Spring almost here, I shall be setting up my restoration w/shop - moving the garden bench to a place to maximise sun time and clamping a 3" vice to one arm.

Carl, I have as one of my Dremel sets the Dremel 4000 which can be used with the workstation which allows you to have both hands on the object in work while having the Dremel set in an adjustable cradle or as a small drill press.

Both links come from the Great Britain section of the Dremel site.

http://www.dremeleurope.com/gb/en/ocs/category/6014/dremel%C2%AE-4000

http://www.dremeleurope.com/gb/en/ocs/product/6087/277/attachments-to-control/dremel%C2%AE-workstation

I hope this helps.

GDCarrington said:
I hope this helps.

Most helpful, indeed! Many thanks, Gary - that kit with a bunch of tools and a carry case comes in at around £100 delivered - $165. This is the final - as far as know - piece of kit I need to get started. There was me, bought a bunch of old brushes and a sheet of sandpaper expecting to produce what you and the good Doctor produce. Oh! ha ha ha ha! Anyway, set to go now - or will be soon as I get this kit ordered - and remember where I put everything else away for the winter.

Great stuff! Many thanks!

Bechet45 said:
Am I seeing right, Jon? You appear to have your brush standing upright in boiling water.
You weren't seeing quite right. The handle was in a ramekin so no direct contact with the water. As for the removing the collar it took a bit of effort. First job was to remove the plastic that was below the knot. For this I used some snippers to weaken the structure. A stanley knife then created the total split in the collar. From that point I used pliers to gradually butterfly the collar until it was sufficiently malleable to be able to open it enough to slip it off. The knot was intact and ready for preparation for putting in the handle.

b070f5e5-806a-4747-bb2c-ae8ee5a0fd90_zps6f9951b8.jpg

Jon

And here is the finished article

20140321090158_zpsum3seyug.jpg

and a comparison shot to show the scale of the brute...

20140321102524_zpsja5u6adx.jpg

With a Grosvenor 404 and an Omega 31064. I shall call this brush the Vulfix Boar Brute! The knot was set on Wednesday and I am looking forward to giving this a work out very soon.

Thanks for all your advice gentlemen.

Jon

jds said:
And here is the finished article

20140321090158_zpsum3seyug.jpg

and a comparison shot to show the scale of the brute...

20140321102524_zpsja5u6adx.jpg

With a Grosvenor 404 and an Omega 31064. I shall call this brush the Vulfix Boar Brute! The knot was set on Wednesday and I am looking forward to giving this a work out very soon.

Thanks for all your advice gentlemen.

Jon

Well done, John! What a splendid job, sir. I have always loved that shape of Vulfix handle and am a noted fan of the big Omega boar knot. A better name, perhaps: The Megafix Custom? The knot will splay slightly with use but not like a Semogue, I believe (no experience there though I've seen the pictures and read others' opinions) but the Omega will open up a little. As you know, the Omega boars are pretty darn good from the off.

The 31064 is certainly one of the most handsome off-the-shelf Omegas.

Much impressed all round!

Back
Top Bottom