Cauliflower?

I made a cauliflower side dish to go with a curry on Saturday. Made a change to just boiling it.

Cauliflower with shredded ginger (punjabi gobi)

500g cauliflower
3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
3 tablespoons of oil (groundnut or sunflower)
1-2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
pinch red chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
salt
pinch garam masala

1. Cut into florets. Pound the cumin seeds.
2. Heat oil in a wok and fry the ginger. After 30 seconds, add the cumin seeds, cumin powder and red chilli powder. Then add salt to taste followed by the cauliflower.
3. Sprinkle with garam masala, stir, cover with a lid and cook over a low heat until it's as tender as you want it.

Apparently cooking it without adding water, makes it easier to digest and less likely to cause wind. :?

Just last week I cooked a cauliflower and potato curry. For a while now I've been writing a comment about a recipe at the top of a page and for this one I wrote "Amazing!". I haven't got time this minute to write it out but I will do now the subject's been brought up. I was tempted last week but was a bit busy. For the moment, if you have the book, it is in Tender Vol.1 by Nigel Slater. He calls it 'A mildly spiced supper of cauliflower and potatoes' but that really doesn't do it justice. To me it is a curry and a delicious one at that.

Edit: Just noticed I had fifteen minutes. I do hope that cauliflower isn't mush by now Tony!

Cauliflower soup - and the best bit is that you only need the hard core bit, leaving the remainder to try other curried cauli delights (I love to add it to a tarka dahl and let cook slowly with a lid on - mmmmmmmmm) :hungrig

totalfusion said:
Cauliflower soup - and the best bit is that you only need the hard core bit, leaving the remainder to try other curried cauli delights (I love to add it to a tarka dahl and let cook slowly with a lid on - mmmmmmmmm) :hungrig

Don't forget to put Stilton Cheese in the soup.

RideTheBlade said:
totalfusion said:

Don't forget to put Stilton Cheese in the soup.

OMG - I need to go cauli shopping now ... I feel the need - the need for cauli cheese soup!!

Cauliflower mash, I don't like cauliflower in general, but mashed (after you cooked it, like potatoes) with some crème fraiche and some grated comté it's quite edible! (grill it for bonus points)

Max

Yeuch. It falls into the same category as turnip and melon: too insipid to bother with (as opposed to swede and celery which are downright unpleasant). If pressed, I'd say cauliflower cheese made with some mature cheddar and a good dose of Dijon mustard stirred in, parmesan on top: that should disguise the wretched stuff.

Back
Top Bottom