Catch the Rye

Must admit to never having tried a rye whishey before, at least not without it being in an old fashioned, sazerac or a manhatten. So coming up to the season of good cheer I thought I'd go for it and here it is. It's a 100% version for the mixing obviously LOL. It arrived yesterday, so last night I gave it a try with just a pair of ice cubes for company. I have to say that I was pleasantly suprised, obviously with a whiskey of this strength there is a burn, but it was a very pleasant warming feel, rather than a coughing fit you can find with some stronger whiskeys, it has a slightly spicey flavour and was indeed very pleasant. I almost went back for seconds, but restrained myself on a school night. now looking forward to a few nicely mixed cocktails with this bottle;)FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Thanks Paul, so if I'm getting this right it's actually 57% in old money. Or have I got the wrong end again. Still suprisingly smooth though!

In old money, although it does say 50% ABV on the bottle, so it would actually have been 87.5 proof in old money. 100 proof in American.

Still a strong one and yes, needs letting down a little to get the true flavour. Enjoy ... you will :D

Proof in this sense means to test as in the proof of the pudding is in the eating. The expression 'the exception proves the rule' sometimes confuses in that it sounds contradictory until you use the 'tests the theory' explanation. We still use 'prove' in that sense in the expression 'proving ground'.

Proof in this sense means to test as in the proof of the pudding is in the eating. The expression 'the exception proves the rule' sometimes confuses in that it sounds contradictory until you use the 'tests the theory' explanation. We still use 'prove' in that sense in the expression 'proving ground'.

Rob, you been drinking the 100 proof? Or are you just proving it?

Rob, you been drinking the 100 proof? Or are you just proving it?
Don't blame me, I just quote from Bill Bryson's book 'Mother Tongue'. You should know by now that my occasional forays into spirits involve Irish whiskey which makes me mellow. When I get abusive it's because of too much lager or bitter.

I spent a happy hour trying to see if I could tell the difference between whiskey from Bushmills in the North and Jameson's in the South - taking alternate sips. The results were inconclusive - therefore I reserve the right to try it again, sometime.

Incidentally, after visiting the Bushmills distillery I now understand why I prefer the taste of Irish to the smoky taste of Scotch - it's all to do with the way that malt is dried - in kilns in Ireland as opposed to over smoking peat in Scotland.

Faither is fond of a drop or three of Jamesons. Some daft eejit (that'll be me then....) gave him a bottle as a present a number of years back and it was so good that he promptly drank the whole bloody lot. It improved his mood no end! What a Christmas that was.....:D

Have you tried the Glenfiddich, Rob? Now that's an underrated smooth drop of pale pop that I was very fond of but I certainly wouldn't have sniffed at Jamesons or Bushmills either. I've only been round two distilleries and both whilst in recovery so never did try the Edradour but at least I knew all about Glenfiddich before I entered those hallowed halls.

I never did understand why the Irish were made the brunt of backwards jokes. I mean long-handled Irish spades and shovels, Guinness, Bushmills, Jamesons and many other things seem to suggest the opposite!

Yes, Glenfiddich is one that's OK to my taste buds - I think it was maybe Laphroaigh (sp.?) that was just too smokey for my liking - and after that I started to notice an overwhelming smokey taste is other Scotches. It's maybe psychosomatic.

Laphroaig? Oh aye, that's either for you or not. Those that don't care for it would liken it to TCP. I quite enjoyed a nip or two - seemed to go down especially well with a pint or two of Timothy Taylor's Landlord.

If you prefer the Irish, drink it and enjoy. I'm the Scotsman that preferred Gin anyhoo....

Well, if Gin & Tonic is G n' T (I'm sure Gordons would like to think it was Gordons n' Tonic) then Tanqueray is T n' T! And it ruddy well is too. I have hazy recollections of Christmas many moons ago when T n' T exploded into the evening along with some Bollinger (which I did not care for) and multiple pints of Boddington's which was a far better brew than I believe it is now. Those were the good times....

Now the hardest liquor I can manage is ordinary tea with caffeine still present and that is a rarity. Poo!

Back
Top Bottom