Carcassonne - the game

OK - I'm officially an addict of this game. I was only introduced to it 3 weeks ago and already it's taking up a large space :) Basically you're building roads, cities and farms to score points based on drawing tiles and placing your followers to claim them before they're completed.

Here's a quick demo of how it plays - taken from a Youtube channel fronted by Wil Wheaton (didn't he used to be that annoying little shite in ST:TNG?) - sorry it's in American and they can't say Carcassonne to save their collective lives - but it takes you through a game which lasts about 40 minutes usually (so not too long and boring for the younger viewers or those older with ADHD :))

You can even play for free on any device that runs Java - http://jcloisterzone.com/en/ - or on your Android/Apple device (apps cost there though)

Bought mine from Germany (in German, but the rules are readily downloadable in English) - and recently taken delivery of a number of expansions.

A bit like traditional shaving, there's a schism in the Carcassonne world - in 2014 they changed the artwork of the tiles and there are those who prefer the old, won't ever consider the new, etc. (Mechanically the old & new play together but looks awful). All the usual stuff about hard to find expansions etc.

Last edited:
I remember playing this on the Xbox as one of those free or cheap games, not a £40 disc that's for certain. It was a tactical game and right up my alley.

I had quite a few early successes but then started to take the lead against players called Helmut, Otto and the like only to lose near the end.

I later found out after checking on the web that it was based on a German board game and I was losing because I was waiting for tiles that had already been used. i.e like playing scrabble and waiting for a specific letter when they were all on the board.

Last edited:
I was there in '96. A beautiful day turned into one of the worst storms I've ever witnessed and back to beautiful in the space of an hour.
As for the game, I have it on my android phone. It has been fun whilst learning it but the computer players are woeful so I can't get a decent game anymore

Back
Top Bottom