Car Boot Finds

Hi All

here are 2 razor that I found in the car boot today the one with the pointed end??? is a Joseph Rodgers & Sons with (Collins Special) on the scales priced at £4.00

Going to chop the point off and have a small razor. Took it out of the scales to have a look at the name as it was covered in rust.

The other one is a G.Al?? I think it says Allen of Duke Street Sheffield I havent seen many razors with the loop on the tang so I wanted that when I saw it price £10.00

Neither of them will not be mint when I have finished with them however not bad for a Sunday mornings work.

[attachment=2904][attachment=2905][attachment=2906]

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 21
Exile said:
Hi All

here are 2 razor that I found in the car boot today the one with the pointed end??? is a Joseph Rodgers & Sons with (Collins Special) on the scales priced at £4.00

Going to chop the point off and have a small razor. Took it out of the scales to have a look at the name as it was covered in rust.

The other one is a G.Al?? I think it says Allen of Duke Street Sheffield I havent seen many razors with the loop on the tang so I wanted that when I saw it price £10.00

Neither of them will not be mint when I have finished with them however not bad for a Sunday mornings work.

Blimey! someone's had a right go at that poor old Joseph Rodgers - ground a knife tip on to it and put it in the wrong scales - a Teddy Boy Special job!

The other is probably by George Allen. Nice ivory scales, by the look of it. The tang is a bit special and well worth keeping.

Regards,
Neil

Here is the first razor with the tip cut off and rust removed. I always try to have a quick go at rusty razors just to stop the rust getting any worse. I will now start with the hand sanding however there is quite bad hone damage on this razor so I might continue with the grinding to take it back. Depends on what I feel like later in the week.

I will make some new scales for this razor when I have done.

Attachments

• Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 55
Hi all

Here is the Joseph Rodger in its new clothes. I have to admit I got fed up doing this razor. The scales are the quickest I have done from start to finish took about 2 hours and the razor got the fastest hand sanding at about the same 2 to 3 hours. It isn't the best buffing I have done either however this razor will be given away to any woman that wants to try a straight. I have give quite a few custom jobs away to trainee barbers and I think that this will go the same way.

The last picture is of the razor in mock up with the lead wedge ready to be cut and sized it also has brass nuts & bolts in it.

Attachments

• DSCF0688.JPG
    DSCF0688.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF0689.JPG
    DSCF0689.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF0697.JPG
    DSCF0697.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF0679.JPG
    DSCF0679.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 41
2 - 3 hrs to get it as shiny as that? Wow - what's the secret? I work from 320 grit up to 2000 grit and still don't get near that....

Arrowhead said:
Lovely! I don't suppose you fancy spilling the beans on where you get the acrylic?

I get the acrylic from a tool shop in Derby near where I work. It is just pen blanks cut to 3mm strips then worked on. You can get them from Axminster tools. However they are only 5 inch long so aren't any good for normal size razors.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-classic-acrylic-pen-blanks-prod839453/

With regards the hand sanding I use a Dremel with an 80 grit flap wheel (old & knackered) to get the rust off. I hand sanding after that, with this one I only went up to 800 grit as I was getting fed up with it. You can still see the scratches in the metal. But I am not that bothered as it will be given away and as long as its shinny most people aren't that bothered about very tiny scratches in the polish (not when it's for free anyway).

I hand sand using a piece of clear pipe with the wet & dry rapped around it or a household scourer/sponge rapped up then the wet & dry wrapped around that. I start at 120 grit normally and go up to 1000 then buff from there. I use a thick piece of rubber to rest the razor on then set to it. I never hand sand at my jig I either do it at work when its quite or in the garden when its sunny.

Back
Top Bottom