Can't seem to shave my top lip and chin well :(

Any advice on this for shortish two day growth? Should I leave it a little longer before shaving? I try an across the grain pass on top lip but the blade seems to just scrape and burn the skin rather than take whiskers off on top lip and chin and below mouth and i get really bad razor burn. With a DE I do across the grain then against the grain on top lip but I'm buggered if i am going to do against the grain with a straight. Any particular method to use here? I can manage cheeks ok with the grain and neck but across and against causes burn. I am always having to finish off with a DE. I have not managed a successful straight only shave yet.

Another thing I am finding hard is seeing what the heck I am doing with hands in the way in the mirror. This holds with my holding the blade like a kamisori too with scales straight out.

Not going to give up and love my straights: beautiful craftsmanship. However don't want to always look like a Somerset apple farmer who has been drinking his wares after every shave ^_^

I am only mowing against the grain from neck to jawline rest of face with and across. (on upper lip with and sort of across more like diagonal while tensing lip looking really stupid in mirror same with and across on chin tensing, blowfish, looking even more stupid) Not sure I get where on face you are using the kamisori grip?

Last edited:
I only do with and against there too. I mean holding razor with scales at 180 degrees rather than 90 when I say kamisori grip. The stubble I have been trying to shave is quite short and hard/brittle. Maybe I should try with another day's growth?

OP, it is not a problem limited to straight razors. Top lip and lower lip/chin area are the trickiest spots for me, as a DE shaver. If I'm going to cut myself, odds are it will be there. I rarely do more than two passes these days and take extra care on the second pass on my lips / chin. I never try ATG on my top lip anymore.

When I shave the top lip I hold the razor at quite a sharp angle & I rotate it in little almost half circular strokes.I then do the other side leading from the heel sometimes.For atg I'm careful not to over stretch the skin & definitely apply minimum pressure.A lot guys avoid the atg & I don't blame them but the shave wouldn't be complete for myself if I didn't.

The lips & chin are the trickiest bit of shaving with a straight, I think that's why you see a lot of guys with a goatee & moustache, perseverance is the key and there is no shame finishing with the DE.
Eventually you will find what works for you, and it will all click into place.
I have been shaving with a straight for a few years now, and I'm still learning new tricks!!.
I think the biggest turning point for me was discovering how important prep is, you want them whiskers clean and full of moisture, lather up, hot towel for a couple of minutes then feel your stubble, if it's not silky smooth apply the hot towel for a couple more minutes and feel again until it is, only then do you reapply lather and start your shave.
Some soaps and creams are better at softening than others so you will have to experiment to find what works for you.
Also don't allow the lather to dry out on your face, this sounds simple but it's easy to spend 15 mins contorting to get last bit of stubble on your check and trying not to take your earlobe off, by the time you get to the chin/lips, the lather is dry and flakey but you shave over it anyway, this is a recipe for razor burn.
Stop apply more lather and take your time,you will get there in the end.

Sorry gentlemen, but me I'm not shame to use my max 3 Gillette for under the nose and under the lip. I shave with a SR a year now and as the rest mentioned I'm steel learning.

I've only recently been doing a two pass shave and I too find the top lip the hardest part of the shave. I find reapplying fresh lather helps. I leave my top lip until last and as said the lather does tend to dry out. You need the lather as slick as possible to help the blade glide. Also, it is a delicate area so we tend to be a little more tentative. No one wants to cut their lip. Just be light but positive so the blade doesn't judder against the whiskers. I am still wearing L plates so I know exactly what you mean.

I find that a hot towel prep will make stubble more manageable, so before grabbing brush and soap I wrap a folded small wet hot towel around my face and fasten with an elastic band back of head like a pony tail, looking rather stupid I start the bowl lathering routine, takes about two minutes to finish giving stubble enough time to soften...

Back
Top Bottom