Can soaps dry out and go off

hi I posted on wether to go down the soap or cream route and was advised soap all the way.
So if I take up an offer of a retailer and buy the soap in multiples how are they then stored and can the dry out and go off through time, only asking as I shave roughly three times a week so they would last , or is this a no-no and I should buy a little often ?

Thanks

hi I posted on wether to go down the soap or cream route and was advised soap all the way.
So if I take up an offer of a retailer and buy the soap in multiples how are they then stored and can the dry out and go off through time, only asking as I shave roughly three times a week so they would last , or is this a no-no and I should buy a little often ?

Thanks
Lots of people on here will chime in saying that they've had soaps for 20 years and they're still as good as the day they're made. If they dry out, you can rehydrate them. If you're really concerned, check the little open pot symbol on the packaging or ask the retailer what the period after opening time is. Soaps, almost unequivocally, have a shelf-life of 30 months+ (hence the little open pot symbols) so if you're thinking of buying in bulk and storing some aside, you'll have, at the very least, about 30 months of time to whittle through the other pots!

I don't see there being much issue if you're using common sense. Keep things relatively dry, i.e. don't leave puddles of water atop your soap. Have a sniff and check of it if it's been a long time waiting and if something is off, scrape off a layer and try again. If the next layer is also bad, better off binning it. Soaps aren't that expensive if you think about it, some people spend more money in one evening at the pub...or bingo...

Hope this helps!

Given the wide range of soaps/creams available, and the extraordinarily long time it will take me to work through my collection of about 20+ soaps/creams, I would caution about buying up multiples (unless there's an identifiable risk of discontinuation). Your choice, of course, but why not expand your range rather than create a stockpile?

Greetings

With soap just the opposite is true if you do not leave the lid off the bowl now and again and continually store them away wet in time they turn quite soft. Soap stored away in the dry will keep for a very long while,certainly years but as said above over time the scent will fade and eventually vanish altogether.

It has been known for some tallow based soaps to turn rancid ie for the fat to putrefy in storage but I suspect you need to keep them in a very warm and humid place for this to happen and from what I have read it is a very rare occurrence.

Regards
Dick.

Back
Top Bottom