BST Discussion

A hypothetical, but potentially real question based on events of the last couple of months:

1. An item currently in production is posted on BST for which the price being asked is way out of step with reality.
2. A frankenrazor incorrectly labelled as a rare historic piece such as a double ring

In other words both are potentially a trap for newbies and others not up to speed on such matters and the issues are matters of fact, not opinion

I PM the seller who either ignores my message or tells me to stick it where the sun doesn't shine

In the event of this occurring, if I reported the BST post, would the mod team intervene, even deleting the BST post if no other option is available?

One rule that I would like to see enforced is that of people posting for sale threads with "buyer to pay PayPal fees". Surely if the seller is requesting the buyer pay the fees, which is against Paypal's policy, they should just post the price inclusive? It's a pain as a buyer to then have to go and work out how much I'm expected to pay. I know there are fees calculators, but surely that should be seller's responsibility?

One rule that I would like to see enforced is that of people posting for sale threads with "buyer to pay PayPal fees". Surely if the seller is requesting the buyer pay the fees, which is against Paypal's policy, they should just post the price inclusive? It's a pain as a buyer to then have to go and work out how much I'm expected to pay. I know there are fees calculators, but surely that should be seller's responsibility?

100% behind you on this:

1. It's a cost of selling just the same as buying sticky tape and bubble wrap
2. It acts as an inducement for funds to be sent as a gift (in breach of BST rules).

Of course if a buyer wants to send as a gift then that is both their right and their risk

Last edited:
There now also seems to be an underlying assumption that length of membership is in some way linked to how seriously a suggestion or complaint should be dealt with. More of the same then , eh!

No assumption at all - merely pointing out that the rule has been in place longer than the members who seem most agitated about it (if it was there when you signed up & you still signed up - presumably you were happy to do so? A different scenario if you were signed up before that rule came about)

A hypothetical, but potentially real question based on events of the last couple of months:

1. An item currently in production is posted on BST for which the price being asked is way out of step with reality.
2. A frankenrazor incorrectly labelled as a rare historic piece such as a double ring

In other words both are potentially a trap for newbies and others not up to speed on such matters and the issues are matters of fact, not opinion

I PM the seller who either ignores my message or tells me to stick it where the sun doesn't shine

In the event of this occurring, if I reported the BST post, would the mod team intervene, even deleting the BST post if no other option is available?

In that case - report the post and if you get an offensive PM in reply, report that too.

While your perfunctory response is correct, people ; organisations etc change over time with the needs of their membership or customers and so on. I still don't see why what happened with my bst post is being considered in the same bracket as all these other historical gripes people are mentioning. It was a common sense , helpful post that didn't cause any offence and although it goes against the rules in the strictest sense maybe the rules should be more flexible to allow some common sense to prevail. I think there are enough people who feel this way, particularly reading this thread.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Nobody is perfect and mods are under pressure to keep order vs fun. Please remember they volunteer for this position to make TSR better place.

As said sometimes they do mistake but at least they dont ban you from forum straight away, like in other places.

Couple days ago I had Trade post I wrote at night being tired and made mistake. When I woken up at morning there was kind message from mod suggesting changing it. That is really nice thing mod did for me. Lesson learnt dont post when you tired an sleepy

Therefore, as I said nobody is perfect and mods/users took lesson from this thread, I still say thank you. Remember try be yourself a mod a keep this place such a great place!

I count 16 posters in this thread, not all of them of your point of view (or mine). For simplicity I'll assume they're all of your mind that the moderators here are all (as we've been described previously) "power crazed".
Today (so far) there have been 357 active registered users.

So it appears at first glance that less than 5% have an issue.

This is a shaving forum, it's not actually a matter of life and death.

I count 16 posters in this thread, not all of them of your point of view (or mine). For simplicity I'll assume they're all of your mind that the moderators here are all (as we've been described previously) "power crazed".

I can't speak for anyone else but at no point did I call you or anyone else "power crazed" I was simply appealing for what I thought was a more considered common sense approach to the issue I had with my BST post. You are absolutely right, these matters are not life and death affairs and that should be reflected in everyone's behaviour, members and moderators alike. There doesn't seem much point in carrying on this topic since it's pretty clear nothing will be changing. I'm fine with that and at least happy I've aired my views on the subject regardless of the status quo remaining the same in the end. I think it's a shame relevant information can't be exchanged in a bst thread but if that's what the majority of members are happy with then so be it.

Last edited:
I was just clarifying whomever called the mods power crazed it wasn't me. Since you used quotation marks I'm assuming someone actually did use those words. At any rate I assume you would like to get on with more important stuff as do I so I'm happy to let it go.

I'm not trying to provoke anything here but am genuinely interested in how many of those 357 have posted in say the last month.

You seem to have access to the stats so would be interested to see how many are truly active members or just lurkers.

...we have historically been very much laissez-faire - but with the corollary that the members adhered to the spirit of the rules if not the letter of them (and the rules themselves are few and not onerous) by self-control. If that self-control is lost, then the obvious consequence is that moderation must become more active.
Totally agree 100%. I actually prefer 'laissez-faire'* as a political strategy as well (side discussion).
As an example of forum rules, one technical forum that I administer/moderate has (ironically) nearly 2 pages of rules but it is all cap-stoned by one over-arching rule: "Less is more, no extensive rules. Simply act responsible. Don't be a dick."

As far as BST discussions go, I firmly believe that open discussions should only be had between the OP and potential buyers. Additional informational posts should be allowed as long as they add value to the post itself. Mods should evaluate 'value' of the comments before altering/deleting posts. If a member posts a "chubby-2" for sale when it's clearly a "duke-3" then that should be corrected, right?

*laissez-faire [(les-ay-fair, lay-zay-fair)] French for “Let (people) do (as they choose).” It describes a system or point of view that opposes regulation or interference by the government in economic affairs beyond the minimum necessary to allow the free enterprise system to operate according to its own laws.

Back
Top Bottom