British Made GEM

Yet another 1912 came into my possession today :D

GEM, but British Made ...

DSC06288.JPG

DSC06287.JPG

... now, some of the more keen single edge fanciers amongst us will no doubt be thinking, "Hang on! GEM were not made in Britain - they're an American only brand!"; and you'd be right.

While we saw Ever Ready on both sides of the pond, we didn't see GEM do that. GEM remained strictly American.

So, what's the story?

Well, my guess is it was for the Canadian market. Those chaps seemed to like their "British Made" yet the GEM brand would be more familiar. I guess.

Either way, it's a proverbial hen's tooth I think ...

Who knows more about this? What's the deal? Inquiring minds need to know!

Good catch, mate! Was it the mis-advertised Myatt?

Funny you say that, when I found a Darwin DeLuxe for sale (real rocking horse ...) I bought it and blow me down! Another one. Likewise, Rolls Razor soap dishes. I wish Rolls Razor mirrors would come round a little more often.

While we're on this razor - the font is curious, isn't it? The Ever Ready Made in England stamped on the back is similar, but compare this one to the elusive RADIO razor:

%257Epjgh%2520%2520shaving-003.jpg

... and the Star blade which came in a fun GEM Stropper I got the other day.

It was indeed Paul, wondered if anyone else had spotted it!

Yeah the number of times rare things seem to surface in pairs, irony at work!

I'll have a look at the pics when I get the laptop out later, can't see them clearly enough on my silly phone!

Ah, that's the problem with only using the daily view!

This is a Darwin Deluxe and a Darwin Standard. At today's prices going for several hundred pounds! I have been hunting for a cheap Deluxe for many years now but there's more chance of finding an honest politician (unless you're Erwin or Dave.B, who each have a bloodhound's nose for unearthing bargains).

images

Back
Top Bottom