Breakfast - Most Important Meal of the Day??

Bechet45 said:
Where and when and how did baked beans get onto a 'Full English' breakfast plate? Damned Yanks again, I expect!

Or the tomato ffs, it's only been with 'us' since the 16th century...I'm partial to morcilla which'll make hunny's blood er curdle as it's a blood sausage filled with rice rather than oats.

Oats, whey protein, banana, peanut butter, milk, whatever else takes my fancy - whizzed together bleary-eyed in a smoothie maker before I leave for the gym at 6 before work. Alongside a strong coffee.

The weekends are a bit different. Poached eggs on posh toast is heavenly.

Burgundy said:
Oats, whey protein, banana, peanut butter, milk, whatever else takes my fancy - whizzed together bleary-eyed in a smoothie maker before I leave for the gym at 6 before work.

That's more or less what I have every morning too, though I go to the gym after work.

My wife has it without the whey protein as she suffers from diverticulitis and is a fussy eater (but will drink oats blended in a smoothie).

Had a fancypants breakfast sitting in the sun outside a charming suburban cafe in a pre-Katrina New Orleans once: poached eggs on garlic steak on a muffin with hollandaise sauce. I think they called it eggs a la mode?

Breakfast these days is filter coffee with hot milk and some of those breakfast biscuits.

PhilD said:
Had a fancypants breakfast sitting in the sun outside a charming suburban cafe in a pre-Katrina New Orleans once: poached eggs on garlic steak on a muffin with hollandaise sauce. I think they called it eggs a la mode?

I go out to Boulder for visits and always make a point to eat breakfast at Luciles. It's in a funky old house, with upstairs and downstairs seating. The beignets are pretty amazing and they make great starters for any meal. Baking powder biscuits (no, not cookies and NOT for dunking) are very tall and home made, served warm. House made strawberry/rhubarb jam on the tables, which are very close together and it's also noisy there. Smart people make reservations, otherwise you can wait a while for a table.

Menu: http://www.luciles.com/locations-a-menus/49-boulder-location-a-menu

PhilD said:
What a superb menu, that looks like a gem of a restaurant, Martin. Creole cuisine must be the most appetising in the world!

Well, there's a lot to decide on, and so much of it is very tasty. Sadly, I don't like grits, which I understand are great there. Heh, not many restaurants where you can get a side order of trout for breakfast. Plus, the hollandaise is pretty damn good. Strong coffee with chicory as an option and man........did I mention them beignets?

Martin

antdad said:
Lightly set scrambled egg on sour dough.

This guy changed my scrambled eggs forever...

Bechet45 said:
Where and when and how did baked beans get onto a 'Full English' breakfast plate? Damned Yanks again, I expect!

Holy Mamacita, do those eggs look good!!!!! Yummy! Not quite set, with just a hint of slime. Soft and mushy, with no teeth needed......not on those eggs. They just slide right down. Delicious.

Plus, this recipe takes 15-20 minutes, mostly of screwing around folding the eggs over in the pan every 10-20 seconds. Gosh, that sounds like a riot!!! Oh my...a whole pinch of salt in only about a pint of liquid? What a crazy man!!!

Carl.........no offense to Limeys or other foreigners, but Yankers aren't silly enough to have baked beans on their breakfast plate. Never seen it before anywhere.

Always a pleasure talking food with you English gentleman.

gazza said:
dodgy said:
Baking powder biscuits (no, not cookies and NOT for dunking)

Absolutely agree, one shouldn't dunk scones.

'No no no, these are not scones OR 'biscuits' or cookies. Scones have a different texture, are sometimes iced, and can have different flavors like orange/pecan scones. Usually just a smidge on the sweet side, but not much, Baking powder biscuits are savory. When you add sugar to that mix you get the 'shortcake' for strawberry shortcake recipe. Now that's somewhat similar to a scone thing taste wise, but not exactly.

Also, you English guys have a strange idea of what muffins are supposed to be. I'll tell you one thing, they ain't the flat, almost flavorless crater filled object that needs toasting badly. We also got those other similar things. I think they're called strumpets. Yeah, that's what they are. The term 'Tea and strumpets' rings a bell.

Glad to help out.

gazza said:
A picture worth a thousand words

Full-English-Breakfast1.jpg

although I'd probably fry one of those slices.

If I had that every day I wouldn't get through the doors of my house.

Just a slice of toast or a croissant for me.

Back
Top Bottom