Bowl Latherers, a shaving soap question

I made some lathering videos while bored in lockdown last year. Might be of interest

I guess I don't understand why in Sam Hill you would do in a bowl what you could do on your face. IMO, that is just wasting time & farrrr too much work. Load from the tub onto your brush THEN just go directly to your face and lather. You'll save time & not get carpal tunnel.

• I guess I don't understand why in Sam Hill you would do in a bowl what you could do on your face. IMO, that is just wasting time & farrrr too much work. Load from the tub onto your brush THEN just go directly to your face and lather. You'll save time & not get carpal tunnel.
I think both methods have their advantages and I alternate between the two although predominantly bowl lather now. As far as I can see the main advantages would be:

1. Less potential brush burn or soap irritation (if you are prone to it).

2. A more consistent lather over 3 passes (sometimes by the 3rd pass the water held in your brush can over hydrate your lather).

3. I find I use less soap as not as much is left in the knot at the end of the shave which also results in a brush that is quicker to rinse.

4. I don’t find that bowl lathering really takes up more time as once it’s mixed I don‘t spend long applying it to my face, a quick scrub to lift the hairs then I’m more of a painter.

Both methods work and mixing it up keeps it fresh for me.

Last edited:
I think both methods have their advantages and I alternate between the two although predominantly bowl lather now. As far as I can see the main advantages would be:

1. Less potential brush burn or soap irritation (if you are prone to it).

2. A more consistent lather over 3 passes (sometimes by the 3rd pass the water held in your brush can over hydrate your lather).

3. I find I use less soap as not as much is left in the knot at the end of the shave which also results in a brush that is quicker to rinse.

4. I don’t find that bowl lathering really takes up more time as once it’s mixed I don‘t spend long applying it to my face, a quick scrum to lift the hairs then I’m more of a painter.

Both methods work and mixing it up keeps it fresh for me.

Sounds good! Yes, I have relatively sensitiv skin. I always get a little very mild razor burn on the lower portion of the neck, regardless of technique, soap, cream, or razor blade. They disappear very quick. Some blades/soap does of course less or more than others, could be technique also and not consistens lather yet since I am total beginner... Maybe could be avoided by doing shaving not every day, but I just began to love shaving with all this variety suddenly. :)

1. Less potential brush burn or soap irritation (if you are prone to it)...

Since I use only synthetics brush "burn" is no issue for me and I have to add water as I face lather if I don't have enough initially. Regardless, I reiterate that it's a waste of time to bowl lather when you have to repeat as such on your face. I only do it for samples.

For me the lazy way is the PAA Travel Scuttle by Phoenix Shaving, not sure why they refer to as a travel scuttle. It has a water jacket which is filled with hot water, it’s ribbed and you get a very fast rich lather. Not traditional but effective.

For me the lazy way is the PAA Travel Scuttle by Phoenix Shaving, not sure why they refer to as a travel scuttle. It has a water jacket which is filled with hot water, it’s ribbed and you get a very fast rich lather. Not traditional but effective.
I have one and i’m unsure if i like it
The bottom is far to narrow,
even a diameter of double would still be a bit small

I use a Giles bowl at home. I'll press a bit of soft soap into the ridges but load the brush direct from a hard soap. I'll just let a hard soap dry out naturally and never actually bother putting the top back on it.

Using a bowl cuts down on skin irritation for me and also helps me create a larger quantity of lather for a head shave.

I face lather daily during the week when I'm not at home. I'll use a cream, but I always have to mindful not to 'go at it' too much as the skin isn't a fan.

Face lathered for about 55 years, but then recently tried a Yaqi shaving bowl (I do have an 'Old Spice' mug but it's a tad small for my 28mm brush to zoom around in. I bought that mug just for the aesthetics it adds to my razor/brush/soap collection. I will use it once I've killed my 'Arlington').
OK, so it's new to me this bowl lathering idea...but I quite like it for some soaps.
I get a nice lather easily, and plenty left for 2nd pass (I don't bother with 3 or 4 passes but still enough lather if I wanted it).
Been absolutely thrashing a tub of DR Harris 'Arlington' lately, just to kill the damn thing.
Man that soap lasts, and lasts, and lasts, and....you get the picture.
Figured bowl lathering would help wear it out. It's working but still taking some effort.
Then I can get some more soaps! Bit limited for space now so it's a matter of using up some soaps before getting the replacement in.
So yeah, I like a bowl to lather in now, and the Yaqi bowl doesn't actually break the bank for cost.
It's ceramic and heavy, but I prefer that to a lightweight metal one I think.
Just let it sit on the vanity, damp synthetic brush, swirl it through the damned Arlington soap (load it up well), few drops of water into the bowl and start lathering. Add a few more drops/sprinkle of water to suit whats wanted, splash of water on face, bung lather on to face, start shaving.
Easy as. I am quite happy with bowl or face lathering, but do quite like the bowl now.
Plus it's a little 'extra' manly treat sitting there so that Missus doesn't get to think that she owns the vanity!

Back
Top Bottom