Boots DE Razor Review

I was in Boots the Chemist today and saw this DE Razor on sale next to a Wilkinson Sword Classic. Maybe this is old hat to you guys, but it was news to me, didn't know Boots had started a forray into DE shaving.

So I took one home and have just completed a three pass shave with it, without a nick, cut scrape or anything. What a lovely little razor, and perfect as a present to get someone started on DE shaving and away from the Fusion and Mach III rubbish.

It has a metal head, a long plastic handle and is a three piece as you can see from the pics. Comes with 5 acceptable blades, and very good it is too. It is in my opinion a much better little razor than the all plastic WS Classic, which isn't bad either.

The price of this little gem?

£3.26........

Now that is what I call a bargain.

Attachments

• BOOTS DE RAZOR 002.JPG
    360 bytes · Views: 736
  • BOOTS DE RAZOR 003.JPG
    360 bytes · Views: 669
  • BOOTS DE RAZOR 001.JPG
    360 bytes · Views: 651
Re: Boots DE Razor

Wonder who makes the razor for them? Looks similar to a Gillette G3000 to my untrained eye.

The blades look the same as the Israeli (Personnas?) from TESCO.

I have also bought one of these recently, and it gives a reasonable shave, in my opinion, but I do feel that the handle lets it down a little, being essentially the barrel from a bic biro. I am in the process of turning a couple of handles to test it with. I will probably do one stainless steel, one aluminium and perhaps a wooden handle, just to see whether the razor performs better with more or less weight in the handle. That said, it is an amazing piece of kit for the price.

EDIT: The blades are the same as the personnas from most supermarkets as far as I can make out.

Regardless..you only have another 100 years before you can quit Wet shaving..afterall..the hardware will last you about that long when well maintained :lol:

Blades

Professor Blighty said:
I was in Boots the Chemist today and saw this DE Razor on sale next to a Wilkinson Sword Classic. Maybe this is old hat to you guys, but it was news to me, didn't know Boots had started a forray into DE shaving.

So I took one home and have just completed a three pass shave with it, without a nick, cut scrape or anything. What a lovely little razor, and perfect as a present to get someone started on DE shaving and away from the Fusion and Mach III rubbish.

It has a metal head, a long plastic handle and is a three piece as you can see from the pics. Comes with 5 acceptable blades, and very good it is too. It is in my opinion a much better little razor than the all plastic WS Classic, which isn't bad either.

The price of this little gem?

£3.26........

Now that is what I call a bargain.
I have left one of these at my girlfriend's. The handle is very light and plasticky but it does a decent enough shave. Bargain when you factor in the decent Personna blades.
The metal head is very thin and light. I haven't tried any plastic DE razor like the Wilkinson as they just look too flimsy to me.
Definitely a good buy.

It isn't really flimsy at all, although I agree it does look it. Both the WS and this one are quite robust even though they are mainly plastic and therefore very light in weight.

I think the groundswell in DE shaving is becoming noticed at last by the manufacturers, and the public are slowly becoming aware of the rip off that Fusion and Mach III represent in terms of both price and quality. I think there will be more and more of these cheap DE razors starting to appear as time goes by, and that can only be a good thing. Once people start to use them, they will like the DE concept and then start to look around for better equipment, then we have them! :twisted:

I agree about the Boots razor handle.

Im waiting on getting a Gillette Tech, but think the Boots Razor shaves well - the handle though is very light and flimsy. I tried my Bulldog handle on it today, but couldnt get it tight enough to secure the head so the blade was rattling about.

Does anyone do handles? Or should I peruse eVilbay and look for a second hand razor to try the handle on the Boots one?

The shave though from such a cheap razor is a pleasant surprise - one for stashing in my caravan I think....

I have made and tried several handles with this razor, and they really improved it. I have a short, fat aluminium one that I like a lot and want to keep, but do have a long (95mm) stainless steel one that I made to fit this head, which made the razor a bit heavy for my liking, but may suit someone else well. I could send this one to you, or make another handle out of aluminium, depending on the sizes you want. If you PM me the details of what you would like, I'll see if I can make you a handle. On the other hand, if you have access to a lathe, you could make one yourself, the thread is just standard ISO M5. I could also do a wooden handle if that takes your fancy.

As a slight twist:
7OC_Sterling_razor_back.JPG
7OC_Sterling_razor_front.JPG

This looks familiar - even down to the Bic Biro handle!

Also comparing this M date code Tech head with the Boots Head:-

And this earlier NDC head

A pleasant surprise here.
Alex said he found the weight of the Stainless handle made the boots head rather more agressive than he liked.

Whilst I would say that todays shave was more agressive using the weighty handle ( I havent weighed it yet) it wasnt unpleasant, and was better than the plastic handle. I felt it was slightly more agressive than other razors I have, I certainly felt the blade pass over my face and managed a small nic on my chin.

The shave isnt as good as say the Ikon with the tech head, or the Gillette 67 tech head I have (both of which to me feel like there is no blade contact with the skin , even though there is) - but its not bad. I imagine the experienced shaver wont find it agressive, I think this is down to slightly more blade exposure than the other two heads I mention.

Its still a good cheap razor to have stashed away (one to take into hospital or on a trip?) Mine will be living in the downstairs bog and used when Im on the early start (5am) so I dont disturb the family.
I also have a plastic handled one living in the caravan.
I think its good with a little extra weight, but does change its characteristics - I think Martin said he felt it was a good intro razor and I may just use a plastic handled one (with a Laser blade to avoid cutting anyone :D ) for my lad when he starts scraping that bloody bum fluff off soon......

So - returend to DE shaving 8 weeks ago and already I have 8 razors :eek:

I'm glad the handle is useable. I do think that the blade gap is quite large, and as you say the addition of a heavy handle seems to make the razor quite aggressive. I get the impression that the combination might be good after missing a couple of shaves for some reason, and needing to slice through the undergrowth :shave .

I've been thinking of getting one for the comb more than anything else. If the comb fits my Merkur 25C that would give me the choice of an open or closed comb razor.

This is the razor I bought while I wait for my EJ DE89.
I have nothing to compare it to so can't comment on it too much.

One thing I would say though is that learning with this, trying to do the zero pressure thing, just doesn't seem to work. It's light, and the weight of the razor just doesn't pull it through the hairs.
When my EJ arrives I doubt I will continue with this.
I also doubt I would give it to someone as an introduction to DE shaving.
But for £3.78 it's been a really interesting practice tool.

Back
Top Bottom