Books to read

Rev-O said:
Geoff Nicholson's novels are brilliant -- he is seriously underrated. Some are better than others but Hunter & Gatherers, The Food Chain, Bleeding London and Female Ruins are particularly good. HTH
Ollie

Hi Ollie, where have you been?? :p

Hi Adam and everyone

Thanks for asking. I've been away (staying with my parents for a week) and then also not been too well (depression) these past four or five days, but the overall trend is still upwards. A bad patch now is like an average day used to be, and before this current dip I was doing very well indeed.

Glad to see this forum growing in strength and numbers and nice to see so many regulars posting,

God bless

Ollie

Rev-O said:
Hi Adam and everyone

Thanks for asking. I've been away (staying with my parents for a week) and then also not been too well (depression) these past four or five days, but the overall trend is still upwards. A bad patch now is like an average day used to be, and before this current dip I was doing very well indeed.

Glad to see this forum growing in strength and numbers and nice to see so many regulars posting,

God bless

Ollie

:p :p :p

I found a couple of Bernard Cornwell's in Morrisons for £4, so I've been reading Sharpe. Good escapist reading. Also Puntila's Political History of Finland. If you're into WW1 in any way, Some Desperate Glory is a good read.

My son in law was a New York police working in Manhattan when the bombers struck on 9/11. He had to retire in his early 40s having an injured shoulder during an arrest. He now lives with my daughter in Dallas. It was thus that I was particularly interested to read the books by David Simon that led to The Wire TV series about police, drugs, politics etc in Chicago. My wife and I watched all 60 episodes of The Wire. I'm still reading the books: Homicide and The Corner. Tough, gritty real life drama. Pulls you in all directions.

I'm not as sofistimicated as others.

My favourites are 'series' books.

Jeeves and Wooster (P G Wodehouse)

007 novels (Ian Fleming)

The Flashman papers (George MacDonald Fraser)

Discworld (Terry Pratchett)

and as a 'one off' which I could read over and over again - No Mean City (Alexander McArthur / H. Kingsley Long)

I would disagree. Wodehouse and Pratchett especially IMHO are pretty sophisticated. Pratchett books cover all thoughts of grand themes and include science and philosophy as well as pastiche and parody. They're also very funny too!! :lol:

The Diceman by Luke Reinhart was a big favourite of mine many years ago, and I think would appeal to men - interesting theme idea, and laugh out loud amusing. Especially good if you're looking for a way out of midlife crisis. :)

Back
Top Bottom