Boiling Razors

I've got some rather grubby purchases arriving shortly.

Saw GD Carrington's post where he very impressively cleaned up that New.

As I've haven't invested in an ultrasonic (yet!) would it damage the plating on a razor to boil it in water with a few squirts of ECover washing up liquid?

Is it even worth doing?

Personally, I wouldn't boil mine. It may ruin the plating.

I soak mine in warm soapy water and scrub with a toothbrush. It then goes into the Ultra Sonic. Then give it some silvo and if it needs it, Belgom Chrome polish.

You can miss out the ultra sonic, it does give it the little extra though.

Dipesh said:
Personally, I wouldn't boil mine. It may ruin the plating.

I soak mine in warm soapy water and scrub with a toothbrush. It then goes into the Ultra Sonic. Then give it some silvo and if it needs it, Belgom Chrome polish.

You can miss out the ultra sonic, it does give it the little extra though.

Yes, I think you are right.

I've looked back through my old messages as I've bought two from Sunbury Steve and he shines them up to a point where they look brand now.

This is what he said he does, so I think I might have to invest in an ultrasonic:

sunburyboy93 said:
Well what i do with metal razors is put a squirt of fairy liquid in a bowl, along with pour in hot (not boiling) water & let em sit for a couple hours, then i pour some warm water in my ultrasonic cleaner (James Products Ultra 7000) along with a couple drops more of fairy liquid, and do three cycles in the cleaner (you need to be carful with any adjustable razors with numbers or handles like the Black Super Adjustables & Black Super Speeds or Lady Gillettes as the Ultrasonic can take the coloured anodized finish off !!.... not a big deal with the numbers as you can paint them back on but the handles are a different story !)

Then use a soft tooth brush with more fairy Liquid and scrub gently in all the gaps, nooks and crannys, again be careful with Black Super Adjustables & Black Super Speeds or Lady Gillettes as harsh brushing will remove the finish.

Rinse and then let them dry (thoroughly), then genlty apply Some Peak Metal Polish then buff with a microfibre cloth, for any hard to reach areas or fine detail areas like handles, use a soft tooth brush to buff the polish off, if you have some real bad marks consider using some Autosol, but be gentle and very careful as too much rubbing and pressure and the plating can be damaged.

Then buff with a microfibre cloth, and my last touch is to use some liquid Duzz-It Polish, this seems to give a brilliant shine, then buff with a microfibre cloth and finally wash again with Fary liquid and water to remove any left over polish and dry thoroughly

JOB DONE

The main thing is just be careful and don't be too aggresive...think of how old these razors are, it can be easy to cause damage...they just need TLC, the trick is to know when enough is enough and don't try to clean to make a new razor.

i would never boil razors, i did it once and it ruined a Gillette Rocket HD....and on some razors it can cause cloudiness and black spots which take ages to remove.

being careful and gentle is the trick, nothing harsh, these things are very old, don't risk ruining them....

I have sterilised Techs and other 3 piece Nickel plate razors in the autoclave in dental at work. I believe it subjects them to pressurised steam at 120 degrees. None of them have come to any harm.
I wouldnt like to steam an adjustable though.

If boiling, dont do it for longer than 20 minutes as it makes them too soft.

when cleaning razors.

would silver polish be ok on them?

i know ive used that on my flute (silver plated)

would it damage it at all?

or is there a better way to make them shiny?

I don't boil mine. As I buy alot of older Gillettes '04's I've read that one of the main reason for handles cracking is the expansion caused by boiling. Different metals, different thicknesses, whatever... So I've stayed away from that and over tightening.
I use a Barbicide soak and a tooth brush.

shanky887614 said:
when cleaning razors.

Modern or vintage? If vintage I'll defer to some of the more knowledgeable members like Sunbury, but if it's modern razors they just need a good wipe and maybe the odd spray of bathroom cleaner to remove dried soap scum.

I doubt silver polish will do much good. But having said that, I have a razor stand which as far as I know is just chrome, and a silver polishing cloth cleans it beautifully.

shanky887614 said:
when cleaning razors.

i know ive used that on my flute (silver plated)

would it damage it at all?

I use a different products for different situations, I generally do my normal soak and ultrasonic and gentle toothbrush work, when totally free of grime etc, I use a tiny spot of peak metal polish and a gentle rub on handles, guard bar etc and buff with a microfiber cloth, I use Silvo wadding to polish razor heads as there is no real abrasive action, but it shines really well. Sometimes for grotty knurled handles I use autosol, but be carful, this is very abrasive and will remove plating if your not careful.

I always finish with Duzz-It metal polish, not abrasive liquid, this makes them shine like hell, and a rinse and buff to complete.

I use Autosol on metal cases as it removes grime and gives a good result.

I also use peek metal polish to remove scratches on plastic cases, but again be careful, I use other products on cases, but that's for another time..

If you get a nice vintage English quality plated razor, and do the long soak and ultrasonic, you normally find no polish is needed as they shine like hell already...

i

Canuck said:
shanky887614 said:
when cleaning razors.

Modern or vintage? If vintage I'll defer to some of the more knowledgeable members like Sunbury, but if it's modern razors they just need a good wipe and maybe the odd spray of bathroom cleaner to remove dried soap scum.

I doubt silver polish will do much good. But having said that, I have a razor stand which as far as I know is just chrome, and a silver polishing cloth cleans it beautifully.

thanks, its an old straight that i wanted to clean.

Good advice there Steve. You must be careful of abrasives when polishing, especially if you don't understand how polishes work.

It would be quite easy to have a shiny razor but if you use something harsh on abrasives then you have a shiny razor with a swirly finish. I'd rather have a dirty razor then a swirly one.

Ken T M said:
Just to throw in my two bit opinion, I recently stripped all the plating off a gold injector with Silvo. Had no idea it would do that.

Oh gold injectors I just soak and ultrasonic, no polish I had some old Pal Gold Injectors, and just the Duz-it removed plating and that stuff is gentle, real real thin plating

Gold razors I tend to just ultrasonic and soak, the gold on most Gillette's (not all) but most were very very thinly plated.

on my gold sets they are nice and shiny apart from what looked like multi colored swirling that changes colour under light, on the head, thought this was grime or tarnish, but I am told its just the lacquer that Gillette applied......and very fortunately most of my gold ones are mint condition.

Back
Top Bottom