Blade suggestions for EJ DE89L?

I've tried the Supermax Blue Diamond Titanium coated in my EJ over the last few days, nice comfortable close bbs shave and no irritation. Not what I expected from this cheap blade, a pleasant surprise.

If in doubt...use a Derby. It's my blade that I base my views on other blades. My 'benchmark' blade. Has never given me a bad shave no matter what razor I have used it in. Some others have given a better shave...not many though. The TSR elite will pooh pooh my stance. So be it.

GDCarrington said:
joe mcclaine said:
Personna, Red Pack.

Impossible to get a bade shave with one of those in an Edwin Jagger head.

Agreed! That is an excellent combination!

I have had one of these blades knocking about for ages now and decided to try it with my DE89 tonight. I can definitely back up the claims made above - lovely smooth, comfortable and close shave! I've had some bad ones recently so this was a blessed relief.

Will be placing an order for some tomorrow. Recommend that the OP tries some out too!

You'll not go far wrong with Astra Greens or Gillette Yellow's.

The EJ is not the most aggressive razor you're ever likely to encounter, so pretty much any blade will give you a decent shave when used correctly. :)

joe mcclaine said:
Personna, Red Pack.

Impossible to get a bade shave with one of those in an Edwin Jagger head.

Well Vinny, I made the impossible possible - tried that combo and found it so mild that I had to apply pressure, which caused razor bumps.

Frankieabbott said:
If in doubt...use a Derby. It's my blade that I base my views on other blades. My 'benchmark' blade. Has never given me a bad shave no matter what razor I have used it in. Some others have given a better shave...not many though. The TSR elite will pooh pooh my stance. So be it.

Pooh! And Tigger and Rabbit.

And I'm not even one of the elite.

I tried a Gillette Yellow the other day, on a few days' growth. It felt a touch rough on the first pass, but this seems par for the course with these blades. Passes 2 and 3 were much smoother and gave a close but comfortable result.

Chris, pm your address and I'll send some Supermax Blue Diamonds for you to try if you haven't already, I'm using them at the moment in my EJ DE89L with good results.

Tackleberry said:
Chris, pm your address and I'll send some Supermax Blue Diamonds for you to try if you haven't already, I'm using them at the moment in my EJ DE89L with good results.

Cheers. I've tried the brown and cream plastic dispenser versions in my Merkur 34c, and I have some of the blue card pack Super Stainless to try, but have never knowingly tried the Blue Diamond. Is there anything you'd like to try that I might have?

I've popped a few in the post together with some other brands, you may have tried them or not, they were not as good for me as the Blue Diamonds are in the EJ. I think it's in my top 3 now, 7o'clock sharp edge and astra being the other 2.

Tackleberry said:
I've popped a few in the post together with some other brands, you may have tried them or not, they were not as good for me as the Blue Diamonds are in the EJ. I think it's in my top 3 now, 7o'clock sharp edge and astra being the other 2.

Thanks I have a pretty good selection - is there anything you'd like to try?

Back
Top Bottom