Blade storage

Hi. I'm still ploughing my way through a few samples in my quest for the perfect blade. So far I'm sort of leaning towards Crystals, Red Personnas or Wilkinson Sword from Solingen. I am about to try the Astras this weekend for the first time so who knows.

Anyway, once find the blade I want, my plan is to buy a huge stack of them and store them away so I never have to worry about blades not being around etc As I'm not in the first flush of youth, I would consider a maximum of 1500 - 2000 blades would easily see me through! If I pop my clogs first then my family can argue over them ;)

But I'm wondering if this bulk plan is all that sensible. It would be all very fine if the great razor blade shortage occurs but OTOH what if I grow out of a blade and I've 1800 of the buggers left over :s

I'm not sure what I'll end up doing but all this pondering made me wonder how long you can store blades for. Is there a limit if you keep them in a nice dry drawer under the bed? Are there things you need to do? Is my plan unworkable from the storage point of view alone?

I'd appreciate your thoughts, gents

Wooster

Others on here can comments better than I around the storage aspect, I'd say keep them in a dry environment and would have expected them to last for years. The fact that they are coated helps a lot.

I haven't read anything about a blade shortage but I'd say variety is the spice of life and it would hep keep your interest if you had different types of blade to test rather than one blade from now on.

Why not get a stash of 200 of your current favourite, as that works out at 600 shaves based on 3 uses per blade, or even 200 of one type and 200 of another? Variety. My other comment would be that you don't seem to have tried some of the forum favourites (and my own) such as the 7 O'Clocks, Feathers or Astra's. Maybe try a few more before you start to settle on a certain blade?

All the best.

Back
Top Bottom