Blade recommendations

I've recently bought a de razor for travelling. Having knocked the blade on my straight razor I'm using it as a main razor. I have some astra blades. My last shave with the astra was uncomfortable and resulted in bad razor burn. I have had to use an electric razor for a few days as a result. Any advice on what blades to use.

Blades can be very subjective. What works for one mans beard may not work for another
I personally find the Astra platinums quite smooth
A few other notables IMO are

Polsilver super Iridium
Rapira Swedes
Feathers are good but super sharp

Best bet is to buy a sample pack and work your way through them
See what works for you

+1 on the sample pack

If you're getting burn you may want to start out with some of the 'duller' blades, like the Derbys or (a fav of mine) the Super-Max Stainless (which are a steal), then work your way up once you're happy with your technique.

I had the same problem with Astra blades, I have since settled in with the Rapira Swedish Supersteels. Sample packs are a good way as already suggested. You can make up your own up sample packs over at Bobbys Shave or you can buy ready made sample packs from many other places.

Astra's were never sharp enough for me which resulted in razor burn as I had to repeat shave an area several times. I prefer different blades in different razors but the best all rounder from the 10+ varieties I have tried are the Personna Lab Blues. They seem to work in absolutely anything for me.

I've just completed a trial run through 3 tucks of Astra SPs in a DE89. Overall I thought they were a decent blade, sharp yet reasonably forgiving. I did however notice that 3 out of the 15 blades I used turned nasty after 2 shaves instead of the usual 4 when I change them. Maybe you had something similar?

SeanC said:
I've just completed a trial run through 3 tucks of Astra SPs in a DE89. Overall I thought they were a decent blade, sharp yet reasonably forgiving. I did however notice that 3 out of the 15 blades I used turned nasty after 2 shaves instead of the usual 4 when I change them. Maybe you had something similar?
I could be the case, I did use the blade more than 3 times.

I received the blade sample pack from bobby's today and he has included a few more blades than ordered. Its a nice bonus

Probably my go to blade would be the Shark?

I know that the Lord and Egyptian blades are not as popular as the Russian blades but I get decent shaves from them with no real noticeable with my thick whiskers over any other blade?

Bolzano are also good albeit a little rough on the first shave so could do with a palm strop or corking for the first use.

Funny you should mention that. I hauled out an Astra SP for my Ikon 102, which normally works well. Two uses and this blade is like shaving with a blunt breadknife. Other blades from the same packed batch have been OK.

Back
Top Bottom