Blade Longevity

First off, can't stand Astra blades whatever the variety. BiC PCs used to last really long (at least five) but have fallen out of favour with me of late. Perma-Sharp Supers can do five but usually four. Sputniks are an easy four shaves, sometimes five and Lab Blues mostly turn in four. English Wilkies are another four and Rapira Swedes the same. I don't do Feather or Gillette SharpEdge as I find them both harsh. Astor BiCs are two at most and I don't like them near as much when I first tried one. The Ri-Meis are another short lived blade but are otherwise excellent. I've never used any Egyptian blade that will last more than three shaves but the Shark and Lord Super Chromes are pretty good blades (identical?). Same goes for any of the Israeli blades I've tried.

Excluding NOS English Wilkies, I be delighted with just Sputniks, Lab Blues and Perma-Sharp Supers as my only blades. All three are sharp, smooth and with good longevity.

Pretty similar to my core blades, although currently Nacets replace Permasharps (which I must try). I started out pushing everything for 5 shaves, but now apart from Sputniks its 4.

You've just successfully sent me down the Perma-Sharp Super rabbit hole @Gairdner, aided and abetted by @Dr Terror who included a couple in the Black Jack pass around

Lovely blade in a Gillette Red Tip and when I saw the best priced EBay seller was down to his last 100, I just had to order some

You've just successfully sent me down the Perma-Sharp Super rabbit hole @Gairdner, aided and abetted by @Dr Terror who included a couple in the Black Jack pass around

Lovely blade in a Gillette Red Tip and when I saw the best priced EBay seller was down to his last 100, I just had to order some
Glad you liked them mate!,Nice blades them Perma Sharp Supers!.

These are the blades I use most and I consider them all very good to excellent. In order of longevity:

Personna Lab Blue (4-6), but these tend to be the least consistent for me
Polsilver SI (4-5), my favourite blade of the bunch, sharp and very smooth
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum 'Black' (4-5)
Perma-Sharp Super (4)
Sputnik (3-4)
Gillette Silver Blue (3-4)
Astra (3)

I always find that the second shave with a new blade gives a smoother result than the first - I cant even replicate this with palm stropping.
But given the cost of blades Im a three shave man these days - exceptionally with WS blades (UK ones) I'll push them to five shaves but no more.

Laser blades from Wilkinsons shops will do exactly one-half of my face in one pass before they need to be consigned to the bin.

Back
Top Bottom