Blade angle difficulties with Merkur HD (34c)

Just out of curiosity: You mention that if you have used another razor, your 34c shave goes wrong for a couple of shaves. Is it only the 34c shaves that goes wrong? what about the tech shave?
Yes, the problems come more with changing TO a tech shave. Going from a Tech > 34C it's not such a big problem, the 34C is definitely the easier to use.

Thanks for all the suggestions andd thoughts. I'll be shaving later today with the Merkur and will report back as to how it goes. I definitely think that I hit that dangerous phase of complacency where I thought I could shave using either razor without concentrating on what I was doing it. Turns out that I could, but the shave wouldn't be as good. What I meant when I mentioned taking 4 months was that, whilst I was getting good shaves within a few weeks of buying the Merkur, the results were variable. I wasn't getting a DFS shave without irritation or weepers on a regular, consistent, predictable basis until around February (I started DE shaving in late October).

Another factor may well have been that I used Wikies, then Crystals in the Merkur. It was after I'd switched to the Crystals and got used to the Slim that I found the Merkur shaves were getting rough. In addition, I usually shave every other day, but at times I was being lazy and buzzing an electric (I know, I know :oops: ) around, so I was going for 3 or 4 days before my next DE shave. I think that wasn't frequent enough to keep me in the rythm of doing good shaves.

OK gents, update. I just finished a shave with the Merkur (which I shall shortly post in SOTD) and I'm very pleased with the results. Thanks to all the opinions and suggestions received from your good selves, that was the best shaves I've had with this razor for a long while. I think the biggest factor was possibly a change in blade types, from Crystals (which I've now used up) to SuperMaxes, which I've been using in the Slim with great results. I suspect that the Crystals didn't agree with me. However, I'm sure that maintaining a light grip as so many of you mentioned, combined with looking at the photos I linked to previously showing optimal blade angle for the Merkur helped enormously also. In other words, doing what most of you seemed to agree was important - to stop myself from being too cocky and going back to basics. In future, every shave will be accompanied by me going through a mental checklist of "light grip, angle and moving the whole arm, not wrist".

Thought I'd add this nugget to the thread - according to this link http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness, the blade gap on a 34c should be 28 thou. Well, my dad is a retired engineer, and he very kindly used his feeler gauges to measure the gap from guard bar to blade on mine. Result? 29 thou on one side, 31 thou on the other. Wish I could remember which side was which, as I'd use the 31 thou side for initial passes, then switch to the 29 thou side for finishing-off. Still, I don't suppose I'd notice much difference really.

I know late joining this discussion but I am finding fingertips (first 2 or 3 on one side) and thumb on other with pinky supporting the end of the razor when possible has helped me with the old addage - 'no pressure' as it's easier to apply this with just the fingertips compared to holding with the whole palm or similar. I am also loading the blade by first putting cap down, dropping blade onto it then start to screw the handle on and flip over to finish tightening it up. This has helped with even blade exposure and hope it does for you also. Tried this with an Astra SP and the shaves with it have been the best yet (didn't like the Astra SP when I first started out). My razor rash on lower neck virtually gone which I think going with the grain for the lower part (up for me) and very simple prep - very hot cloth for a min or so.

Edit - another thing that I am aware of it the blobs of adhesive/wax and to make sure they are point away from the cap (not pressing into the cap but down to the handle) which I would think could affect angle.

According to the link above the EJ89 and Muhle R89 are more aggressive than the Merkur HD 34C :huh:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap

Interesting thread. I am struggling after just over a month with my 34c. Started getting razor rash after 3 weeks I am using a blade sampler pack and I can see that using crystal blades was when the razor rash started. Swapped out for a shark and it improved until I went back to the crystal blades. May be the Crystals are not suited for the 34c. My favourite blade so far the Astras followed by the Sharkes

Well, this is pretty much ancient history for me now. Good technique combined with the right blades means that shaving with my 34c is a pleasure and the results are superb.

chrisbell said:
Well, this is pretty much ancient history for me now. Good technique combined with the right blades means that shaving with my 34c is a pleasure and the results are superb.

Good stuff. After quite a few months of experimenting with other razors I went back to the 34HD and it bit me bad, I think it needs a bit more concentration than other razors which is 'good' for learning, and can give fantastic results - but it is not to be trifled with!

Mark70 said:
Interesting thread. I am struggling after just over a month with my 34c. Started getting razor rash after 3 weeks I am using a blade sampler pack and I can see that using crystal blades was when the razor rash started. Swapped out for a shark and it improved until I went back to the crystal blades. May be the Crystals are not suited for the 34c. My favourite blade so far the Astras followed by the Sharkes

Could be they don't suit you but just remember no pressure and head angle and also not forgetting...no pressure! ;) If you have to press down to accomodate for any lack of cutting then trying a new blade may be a good idea. The first pass some say can be 'straight down' but with all things you may find this doesn't work so don't be afraid to try with the grain on more sensitive areas like the neck. People learn at different rates so don't get put off and it could be the preparation/product used may help too but when trying things out change just one thing at a time if you can to eliminate any problem product(s). One month isn't very long but the Astra SP blades are quite smooth. Not tried Sharks but found the Gillette 7 O'Clock Green (Russian ones) were smooth too and about to start one tomorrow so hopefully still smooth...

Awaiting on a few samples of Perma-sharps (Russian), Astra SS (blue) and Supermax Super Platinum to try out in the near future and see how they fare.

Well there's your problem right there, Chris! There is no correct angle for a Supermax except the one that gives it a trajectory straight into your used blade bank! IMO, of course.

My solution to any shaving problem is a few days on 7 O'c Greens - like shaving with kitten tails for smoothness.

Bechet45 said:
Well there's your problem right there, Chris! There is no correct angle for a Supermax except the one that gives it a trajectory straight into your used blade bank! IMO, of course.

My solution to any shaving problem is a few days on 7 O'c Greens - like shaving with kitten tails for smoothness.

Unfair, I feel. As I said above, the problem for me has long since been solved. I actually like Supermaxes in the 34c - you may not, but I do. Oddly, Crystals and IPs were pretty poor for me.

Interesting read. I have a HD 34G on it's way to me. I had assumed it would be even milder than the 1904 I now use every day, which I do not find at all aggressive. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow, and I will be able to find out for myself.

It will be interesting comparing it to the open comb on the 1904.

Using the Merkur blade which comes with these razors I have found very little between them in use, but, to be honest, the 34G does seem to be even closer on one day stubble. Only by a whisker though, and it could have just been slightly better technique on the day. It does look stunning in gold though!

I use a Slim Adjustable and a 38C I won't say in rotation because I try to stick to the Slim and only use the 38C every now and again. Every time I swap I've found I have problems with angle.
It ranges from leaving stubble to burning face and slices as much as weepers. I usually conclude that it's down to general inexperience and more practice needed.
Tried the 38C again yesterday very close shave and a sore face so my plan is to carry on using it for a couple of weeks and see if I can get the hang of it.

Back
Top Bottom