Bismark restore

Hello All,

This is my first full restoration.
I shaved with it yesterday and its a great shaver.
I think the scales are too thin but they work just fine.
The wedge is a lighter coloured horn.

[attachment=4566]

[attachment=4567]

[attachment=4568]

Attachments

• BISMARK006.jpg
    BISMARK006.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 90
  • BISMARK007.jpg
    BISMARK007.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 92
  • BISMARK008.jpg
    BISMARK008.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 67
Thanks Jeltz and Sezer74.

I know, I will start doing before pictures. I've already sanded and polished the blade of my next project though doh!
It's a sheffield 5/8 called The Wizard. So I'm thinking about making some wizardy scales out of purpleheart wood and pink ivorywood wedge.

This Bismark was in a bad way. There are still a few marks from pitting on the blade but I can live with that. There was a chip on the edge that needed honing out two. The scales were hard rubber and not the original anyway.

I sanded the blade from 220 steadily through to 1000 grit. Then polished with black, blue, pink and rouge polishing compounds with a cotton stitch wheel.
The scales were sanded from 80 grit to 2000. Then polished with brown and buff compounds.

I took the chip out by running the edge over sand paper until it was like a butter knife, Then honed it with Nortons 220, 1000, coticule then les latneuses coti hybrid side. It holds a lovely edge, very keen.

I hate pictures like these makes me want to sell everything and start buying hones and everything else needed for restoration...

You all are responsible if SWMBO poisons me ...

:D:D I see the resemblance!

It's an alum block.
I got a big lump in its natural state and just break a lump off when the bit I'm using gets too small. I round one end off in my hand with some water.
I thought it looked quite cool with my shaving gear shaped as a rock but now I'm not so sure :icon_smile:

Back
Top Bottom