Birth Year Razors - sought & available

I've already posted on B/S/T. But I'm looking to buy a gillette super adjustable F3 (1985) if possible but I'm not too fussed on quarter just year will do me. Anybody got one?

Hi everyone. I have ventured into DE shaving via a shavette (1 x new Dovo with Lord blades suits my face) and then SE shaving (3 x straights - but I might need to venture into honing and strop pastes to get these as sharp as I think they should be). I then got my other half to get me a Timor DE razor and some Gillette 7 O'clock blades for Xmas and I must say it's a quick shaver (maybe some blade alignment issues), but other than that it gives me a good shave single pass, and with another pass I'm pretty happy. Just the alignment issue and having to look at which side of the razor has a more exposed blade........or is this normal?

Anyhoo, I've been looking at date stamped Gillettes for a birth date razor (Preferably adjustable) and I have honed in on O 2 (2nd Quarter for 1969 as Birthday is June 1969) and it looks like TTO Black Beuty is probably......if not only, my best bet.

Do I have any other options for this time period and what sort of money £ or $ am I looking at having to spend?

Hi everyone. I have ventured into DE shaving via a shavette (1 x new Dovo with Lord blades suits my face) and then SE shaving (3 x straights - but I might need to venture into honing and strop pastes to get these as sharp as I think they should be). I then got my other half to get me a Timor DE razor and some Gillette 7 O'clock blades for Xmas and I must say it's a quick shaver (maybe some blade alignment issues), but other than that it gives me a good shave single pass, and with another pass I'm pretty happy. Just the alignment issue and having to look at which side of the razor has a more exposed blade........or is this normal?

Anyhoo, I've been looking at date stamped Gillettes for a birth date razor (Preferably adjustable) and I have honed in on O 2 (2nd Quarter for 1969 as Birthday is June 1969) and it looks like TTO Black Beuty is probably......if not only, my best bet.

Do I have any other options for this time period and what sort of money £ or $ am I looking at having to spend?

We almost have the same birthday, I'm July 1969 and my birthday razor is an O3, I recently bought an O3 Super Adjustable from Etsy. Your other option is a superspeed. I've got a 1965 Superspeed which shaves very nicely and I'm pretty sure they were still around in 1969.

We almost have the same birthday, I'm July 1969 and my birthday razor is an O3, I recently bought an O3 Super Adjustable from Etsy. Your other option is a superspeed. I've got a 1965 Superspeed which shaves very nicely and I'm pretty sure they were still around in 1969.
Thanks Hishg. Much appreciated. I'll have a look on Etsy too! Have an eye on the bay for a couple :)

Thanks Hishg. Much appreciated. I'll have a look on Etsy too! Have an eye on the bay for a couple :)

Hi, my birthday razor arrived today. I'm very pleased with it. There is an O1 Black Handle Superspeed on Etsy at the moment, I realise that is still several months off, so just keep looking. The O1 on Etsy is being sold with a D1 Superspeed for about £13, P&P from the USA is usually about £10-15.

Last edited:
I'm sure I seen a O2 on ebay today
Thanks Scott and Hishg also.

I'd really like an adjustable, so I'm looking at a Black Beauty (long or short) first and then maybe a superspeed to grow my collection.......

There's a couple on there that I'm keeping my eye on. They are both attracting a few bids. I let a "Buy it now" go just to see if there were any other takers. There weren't and it's been re-listed. Its $49 + shipping, which in total is about £55 / £60. There's a dodgy mark on the adjusting ring, so I think I'll give this one a miss.

There is one on Etsy with a box, bit it's a bit more than I was looking at spending. is in good condition mind......

Cheers guys. Have a great weekend!

Edit - sorry, wasn't a "buy it now", but seller has listed at $49.99 for first bid. I'm not sure it's that special for that price???

Last edited:
I've just bought two birthyears, the only two that were still being made in 85, a super adjustable and a black handle flare tip, both really good shaves although the quality of the metal on the head doesn't seem as good as my earlyer made Gillettes, just be patient with it, took me a while to find mine. Then got both within days of each other

I've just bought two birthyears, the only two that were still being made in 85, a super adjustable and a black handle flare tip, both really good shaves although the quality of the metal on the head doesn't seem as good as my earlyer made Gillettes, just be patient with it, took me a while to find mine. Then got both within days of each other

HI there,

Yep, the later model Supers have a thinner head plating thing going on with the plastic baseplate. Good part is the handle knurling design is more of a diamond pattern with a better grip than the earlier ones. Matter of fact, I have a D1 (1983) in good shape if that grabs anyone's interest.

Martin

Thanks Scott. I kind of missed a short handle on ebay that went for something like $23.50 for the razor, plus shipping form the states. Would have been happy to go to $30 on that one, but I was a little bit busy and missed the end of the auction. Condition looked pretty good.

Two long handle ones still on there, but I'd have to go to bed and get up in the middle of the night to be awake for the end of auction.....might do it though :p

I could spend 3 x this sort of money for guaranteed purchase and maybe a bit better quality..........

This could be the start of a Gillette collection for me as I've seen a few blue tip superspeeds and other flare tips that are quite interesting looking razors. Obviously not all 1969....but I'm staring to get a handle on what is available from this year as well as appreciating some of the design changes and quirks from other years. This is down to some great info from everyone on here. A good example is Dodgy ^ about thinner plating on later razors.

Thanks again :)

The thing about birth year razors is that for the most part you need to buy a US Gillette to get the exact date, which is great if you're American, less so otherwise. If I were you Steve I'd look at a British flat bottomed Tech with a fat handle from the late 1940s. The #44 set is a beauty, I've seen three unused ones go for less than £20 each in the last few months and they are superb every day shavers.

The thing about birth year razors is that for the most part you need to buy a US Gillette to get the exact date, which is great if you're American, less so otherwise. If I were you Steve I'd look at a British flat bottomed Tech with a fat handle from the late 1940s. The #44 set is a beauty, I've seen three unused ones go for less than £20 each in the last few months and they are superb every day shavers.
And where did you see them, Uncle?

Back
Top Bottom