Birth Year Razors - sought & available

Ivan Dobsky said:
I'm looking for either an L1 (1966) or something from 1935 (a tribute to my late Father).

Hi there,

Heh, update : razor is SOLD.

Yeah, it's like fishing. Just toss the bait in the water and let it sit there. Never know who's gonna come along grab it. Hell, I don't even need to set the hook......

We have a bingo! Yep, got an old Gillette L1 in nice shape I know you're gonna love. The only thing is, I don't know if you're man enough to pull off using it.

The razor is a lovely Lady Gillette......a pink one no less! I was saving this beauty for a member who likes pink razors, but he ran outta money a while back ( I blame the forum enablers). Stars have all the paint as does the handle.

This could be your lucky day. Use the pm feature if this interests you. This would be a good piece to help get in touch with your sensitive side.

Martin

Ivan Dobsky said:
I'm looking for either an L1 (1966) or something from 1935 (a tribute to my late Father).

I've got an L1 1966 Superspeed somewhere in the bottom of my wardrobe. If you're interested let me know and I'll go looking for it.

Paul

does any one know what was available for May 1958,getting the urge now after reading through the post,s,,
bugger this is getting adictive allready.
Ian
just had a read and i am a D2.

Help!
Have a question for Martin and the other Gillette 'Year experts'. My birth yr is 1948. I have what I believe by the book and gillette ads a boxed 1948 superspeed . This week I see a 1948 US Magazine ad for Gillette razors along with a box superspeed razor that's definitely a 1947 razor!!
We're both types sold in 48 and what month did the 'new' razor come out??
Ideas please!!

Damn, damn, double damn! Found my birth year razor this morning on eBay, a 1974 U2 Gillette Super Adjustable. Nice condition too, probably too nice as its listed for 70 euros which is approx £55. Can't afford it. This damn RAD!

Does anyone happen to have a good (or better) condition black handle Super Speed or Super Adjustable Gillette from 1974, third quartre? Date code should be U3.

Cheers

Dax

***COMPLETED***

Quick update on mine,on there way from the usa,a 1958 tv special,and a 1958 fatboy,and a slim adjustable,,been a busy fella,just hope they shave as good as all the reviews say,new brush coming from Fido aswell,
looking forward to retesting all the blade's,i dont like in my 34c and 38c
Ian

US Aristocrat W2 in need of end caps and a replate. Found in a yard sale of all places. Look, it needs work and I could get it done, but I suppose if a W2er really wants a birth razor, here's his chance.

Let me know or I'll write Tall_Paul ... Yes, it wil cost some to get it over there but .... Maybe you could send a soap or cream in return.

It isn't going anywhere and I have removed it from my tackle box for now.

PM me your personal email and I'll send photos. Warm Regards, Robert

Sunburyboy93 said:
Goody54321 said:
I am looking for a 1975 quarter 3 (V3) if anybody has anything?

Thanks
Chris.

Im august 75 so you have competition mate !! ;-)

Steve: Did you ever find that birth razor of yours? I'm going fishing tomorrow and so I'm up late preparing lures and sinkers. Well what the hell ya know - here's a V3 in beautiful tip top shape. But it's also a killer sinker when fishing for cut throat trout on the estuarys of the Hood Canal. You need something to hold or anchor while hook and bait move in the current. Of course there's always a snag so you have to bring a few with you. I use to have - trying to remember - oh I'll say half dozen V3s and this is the last and I've already rigged it to the pole.

Let me know. It's 2015 over here right now and I'm packed up ready to go. Lets see - should be around 0415 your time tomorrow morning right now. If you don't slack off and sleep your Sunday away you just might be able to "catch" me before I go out the door.

It's been raining over here; nothing like whats happening on the East Coast though. Should be a good day and a right pleasant Sunday BBQ of salmon from the grill tomorrow night. I even baked a Marion Berry, Red Raspberry and Blueberry pie gathered from the bushes in our garden. Makes me want to run out the door right now and get on with it. You take care and sleep tight. Warm Regards, Robert

press said:
I'm still after z3 1954 Flaretip more chance if i hitch a ride with Dr Who in his Tardis.

Hello Mr. Press:

Dr. Who's Tardis is stored in my machine shed. Got me to thinking - it's been along time since I've been in it. Sure enough, stashed under the seat, I found an old shave kit. When I opened it up to investigate, I found a regular Z3 Flare Tip. Normally I use these for fishing sinkers as I will be doing just that tomorrow morning. Please see my post to SunnyBoy (spelling?) and you'll get my plan of intended movement. Give me a shout out if you're still on the planet. Thank God I checked the Tardis - I was running low on sinkers and as a full moon means a stronger current with a greater risk of a snag, I could lose the damn thing quickly. I feel comforted now knowing I have two flare tips to carry me through the day. Tackle is most important doncha know. Especially out here in the Pacific Northwest.

Regards, Robert

Robert Otten said:
press said:
I'm still after z3 1954 Flaretip more chance if i hitch a ride with Dr Who in his Tardis.

Hello Mr. Press:

Dr. Who's Tardis is stored in my machine shed. Got me to thinking - it's been along time since I've been in it. Sure enough, stashed under the seat, I found an old shave kit. When I opened it up to investigate, I found a regular Z3 Flare Tip. Normally I use these for fishing sinkers as I will be doing just that tomorrow morning. Please see my post to SunnyBoy (spelling?) and you'll get my plan of intended movement. Give me a shout out if you're still on the planet. Thank God I checked the Tardis - I was running low on sinkers and as a full moon means a stronger current with a greater risk of a snag, I could lose the damn thing quickly. I feel comforted now knowing I have two flare tips to carry me through the day. Tackle is most important doncha know. Especially out here in the Pacific Northwest.

Regards, Robert

Hey, it's one of my favorite Yankers,

First of all, I think it's spelled 'Sonnyboy', and yeah his birth year razor is a common one here in Chicago too. I have maybe 3-4 in the tacklebox myself. Yeah, the 1970s Gillettes are on the lighter side, and best for light current.

When I was a kid, a Gillette factory tour was available from the huge place located on the South Side. This was only a few miles from the Indiana steel mills, which was handy for the raw materials.

At the end of the tour, I remember receiving whatever razor was being made that day......kind of like a little prize. Yep, some years it was a Fatboy or Slim and others it was a superspeed. One year I remember getting a Toggle. Now that was an excellent sinker for strong current!

Hell, if you went around to the back, you could buy new 'blems' of various types all mixed up, for a penny a pound.

Probably similar to what went on in your neck of the woods I'd guess.

Back
Top Bottom