Best way to tackle stubble under the bottom lip?

For the area right below my lip, I have to go diagonal L to R, R to L. If I try to go straight down I inevitably end up with a weeper somewhere along the way.

This thread intrigues me, as my bottom lip seems the most forgiving part of my face - once I've completed a WTG pass, I can go ATG on the area immediately below my lip without lather. This is something I'd never dream of doing elsewhere; indeed I cannot go ATG on my top lip even with top-notch prep and near-perfect lather without getting multiple weepers. On top of that, there's a Youtube video (I think it might be one of Mark Herro's 'mantic59' professional barber ones), where it's mentioned that the area immediately below the top lip is the least sensitive part of a man's face. Even half-way down to the chin still seems fine for me, and bear in mind that my disability is to do with faulty collagen, which is likely to make my skin less resiliant than most.

All I can suggest is using an ultra-light touch, and maybe doing two WTG passes in that area, then re-appraise the situation before relathering for a third pass if you decide to do one.

Last edited:
On top of that, there's a Youtube video (I think it might be one of Mark Herro's 'mantic59' professional barber ones), where it's mentioned that the area immediately below the top lip is the least sensitive part of a man's face.
You make an interesting point there Chris. Maybe for me (and others), the fact that there is a degree of de-sensitivity in that area means that we happily use too much pressure in that area - hence weeper-oos!!

That is interesting Chris, I seem to get best results going XTG. Only ever go ATG from the bottom of my neck to my chin/jaw line. WTG causes weepers under the bottom lip too.

My top lip has to be WTG and XTG any form of ATG and I may as well call it a day before starting.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

WTG causes weepers under the bottom lip too.

This might be obvious, but are you correctly mapping the grain direction in that area? I found one or two errors in my grain map after a couple of years of DE shaving; in fact, I wonder whether the grain direction changed.

This might be obvious, but are you correctly mapping the grain direction in that area? I found one or two errors in my grain map after a couple of years of DE shaving; in fact, I wonder whether the grain direction changed.
Hiya, yep all mapped out I have just checked again it is North to south for WTG. It has to be angle and pressure. Being quite fleshy any wrong deviation is likely to result in a cut.

Hiya, yep all mapped out I have just checked again it is North to south for WTG. It has to be angle and pressure. Being quite fleshy any wrong deviation is likely to result in a cut.

Is there any possibility of pulling the skin from that area downwards towars the apex of the chin in order to flatten the area in question?

Is there any possibility of pulling the skin from that area downwards towars the apex of the chin in order to flatten the area in question?
Yep my issue with stretching is it inevitably Leeds to cuts. I did try to alleviate angle issues this way but as mentioned the results were not great.

I too sympathise, Nishy. The area you're talking about is always an area to be careful with in my own case. (That and either side of the adams apple...where 'swallowing' and 'holding' for a second or two helps, as well as dragging the skin with two or three fingers to one side (i.e. off the top of the adams apple and over to the side).... and then cautiously running the razor over the stretched area in the appropriate direction(s). But you knew that already.

BUT, for me, the only sure way to do it with a guarantee of no blood and a pretty close result...is to use a Gillette Sensor. In any direction, willy nilly, with gay abandon! Never any nicks - ever! The very same Gillette Sensor that I seemed to have managed with for 53 years (how did I manage without using a DE razor for all that time? But somehow I seemed to get by!)

Back
Top Bottom