Best way to polish up an iKon stainless steel handle?

I have just acquired an iKon 'bamboo' handle, and love shiny objects. I have tried for ages now to get the knurled areas of this handle to shine, but have failed miserably! The smooth bits are great, but the knurled areas always look as they are dull or dirty. I have tried Peek polish, and then a polishing wheel on a bench grinder. I've also tried manual polishing with various micro fiber cloths, but still, not the shine I desire. Am I just expecting too much?

Stock photo of handle...

ikon.bamboo.jpg

I think you're expecting too much. When you polish metal you are effectively removing/reducing scratches so that light reflects directly back instead of at angles. A knurled finish is just a series of deep scratches from that point of view.

It's my first stainless steel handle, and all my others are nickel/chrome. Even with knurled surfaces, they all gleam. Maybe you're right, I'm just expecting too much from this handle...

The ATT Kronos handle is the same. I think it's a case of 'that's just the way they are'.

That said, it again reminds my of why I like the Feather AS-D2 so much - it has a vastly superior finish to both Ikon and ATT (as well as Weber), and it also maintains its 'shine'.

pjgh said:
Mr Muscle Bathroom & Toilet Cleaner (mmmm ... orange scented :D ) ... 15 minutes, wash off, good as new.

Didn't have any Mr Muscle, but I did dig out some CIF bathroom mousse in the cupboard. Just tried it. It's not 'chrome' shiny, but certainly an improvement!

Assuming some of the light is being robbed by previous polishing and general dirt that you can't see and doesn't wash off easily, a product like Mr Muscle will ensure a really clean finish. Clean = Bright.

I think the metal is about as bright as it will be ... what you're looking for now is something with a brightening effect. Sainsbury's Method liquid hand soap just massaged in and washed off gives a good effect.

pjgh said:
Assuming some of the light is being robbed by previous polishing and general dirt that you can't see and doesn't wash off easily, a product like Mr Muscle will ensure a really clean finish. Clean = Bright.

Solved it!! Your assumption that there may be some grunge, probably brought about by my own attempts at using various metal polishes, I had a thought. Swarfega! Massaged a bit into the knurls & agitated with a nail brush. Then rinsed with some hot water, and micro fiber clothed it dry - shiny!!

StephenShave said:
pjgh said:

Solved it!! Your assumption that there may be some grunge, probably brought about by my own attempts at using various metal polishes, I had a thought. Swarfega! Massaged a bit into the knurls & agitated with a nail brush. Then rinsed with some hot water, and micro fiber clothed it dry - shiny!!

See post #3

Back
Top Bottom