Best metal polish?

Here's a blog entry by good friend of mine Steve from Texas over on the SRP who's showing how to clean a blade using Mass polish take a look. http://straightrazorplace.com/members/engine46/129-cleaned-up-my-otto-deutsch-hans-my-dremel-maas-polish-mothers-chrome-polish.html

The place I work for sells Peek polish by the box load ...... local councils cleaning departments love the stuff; shiny taps, fittings and brass nameplates the length and breadth of the North West ..........I love the stuff for razors ....... More of a chemical cleaner than an abrasive, you can use it however you like, it's so inoffensive. It's excellent on an old toothbrush for polishing knurlings.

Autosol is also excellent ......... But should come with a warning label for anyone thinking of using it to polish a plated razor. It's abrasive enough to take a Winters worth of oxide off an alloy exhaust can with little effort. It'll destroy an unlacquered gold wash / plate in very short order ........ and can visibly thin a safety razors nickel or rhodium plating in less time than you'd think. It's best used if you want to take any minute scratches out of the plate surface, but only delicately at that. Good on steel, though..... get used to black fingers. It's really worth impressing how much damage this polish can do if you're not careful ....... Ask my first Gold Tech :D

For getting any polish residues off, good old 99% pure isopropanol in a spray bottle is a winner. Spray until the razor is soaked, wipe it down with a polishing rag. If I'm photographing a razor, or just want to shine it up one last step ....... Dunlop #65 guitar polish and cleaner...... Which I just happened to use one day 'cos the guitars looked lovely, so I thought "Why not?" ..... Makes 'em gleam.

Another vote for Peek. A lot less abrasive than Autosol. I used to use Autosol to polish up manky old brass Primus stoves that hadn't been cleaned in 50 years. Lots of elbow grease required but it fairly cuts through it. I agree with Wishbone - knowing what it can do would make me very wary of using it on a plated razor. I don't find Brasso as abrasive as Autosol but I'd still be reluctant to use it on nickel, chrome, silver or rhodium plate. I have used Silvo wadding with good results. Gentler than both Autosol and Brasso although I only used it because my tin of Peek is down at my ex's somewhere dark and unseen i.e. I don't ruddy well know where.

Back
Top Bottom