Best brush for £30

With that money you can get a second hand NF Tubby 1 or 2, a Semogue Owners Club boar, a new NF 22xx, a Semogue 2000, a Semogue 830, an Omega 31064 or a No. 34, etc.

Some of these will leave you some change back, for others the 30 pounds will be just enough. There's plenty of choice out there. Choice obviously depends a lot on whether you face or bowl lather as well.

Or save another £20 put it to it and get Beejay to knock you a custom together ;)

IMG_0243.jpg

N_Architect said:
With that money you can get a second hand NF Tubby 1 or 2, a Semogue Owners Club boar, a new NF 22xx, a Semogue 2000, a Semogue 830, an Omega 31064 or a No. 34, etc.

Some of these will leave you some change back, for others the 30 pounds will be just enough. There's plenty of choice out there. Choice obviously depends a lot on whether you face or bowl lather as well.

I will only add the Vulfix 404 mixed brush and the Semogue 1305.

well my 2201 was about £27-30 when new.. but that was about 8 months ago.. and of course VAT etc went up. But its worth PM'ing fido and asking what he has around that price.

Even a brand new Tubby 2 is only £43 and a brand new high mountain badger is only £45.

he may well have something within your budget... a 2201/tubby2 would be my personal recommendations for superb all round brushes that suit creams and soaps.

Mass market wise, (if you choose to go that way) I'd say Edwin Jagger. Or even Cyril Salter. There are a selection of pure badger in various finishes for under £30 at Tradional Shaving Co. I've used a Jagger Black Badger since December and it's been great.

http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/traditionalshaving/_EDW-BRU-1EJ946/343897/Pure-Badger-Shaving-Brush-EJ94-Ebony---Medium

I like the look of Fido's brushes and they're undoubtedly well made but I sometimes worry that there never seems to be any alternatives offered in TSR opinions so it almost looks like a shill for Fido's business. I therefore merely try to offer another choice!

Canuck said:
Mass market wise, (if you choose to go that way) I'd say Edwin Jagger. Or even Cyril Salter. There are a selection of pure badger in various finishes for under £30 at Tradional Shaving Co. I've used a Jagger Black Badger since December and it's been great.

http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/traditionalshaving/_EDW-BRU-1EJ946/343897/Pure-Badger-Shaving-Brush-EJ94-Ebony---Medium

I like the look of Fido's brushes and they're undoubtedly well made but I sometimes worry that there never seems to be any alternatives offered in TSR opinions so it almost looks like a shill for Fido's business. I therefore merely try to offer another choice!

I think the reason that Fidos brushes are always so highly praised on this site is because they punch so far above their weight with regards to quality/price.
A proper brush for sensible money. You don't see that every day.

absolutely... i have no affiliation with Fido at all, in fact I rarely converse with him even on the forum. But im a very very happy owner of two NF brushes and would undoubtedly buy more. Having used a lot of the mass market options, these are simply better value for money. Being scottish.. i like VFM

shrink said:
absolutely... i have no affiliation with Fido at all, in fact I rarely converse with him even on the forum. But im a very very happy owner of two NF brushes and would undoubtedly buy more. Having used a lot of the mass market options, these are simply better value for money. Being scottish.. i like VFM

I would recommend a New Forest or as Kev has said contact Bill "Bejay" and see if he can make you something.

New Forest Brushes are great, you get a Brush that in performance is priced well below what they could be sold for....

And as a repeat customer of Bejay, his work is awesome, and you have complete control over what you are getting in regard to looks, knot, loft etc etc.

i would wait until you can put a little bit more money to it, rather than just looking for a brush to fit a price.

steve

I've had a chat with Fido by PM about this thread.
Just in case anyone got the impression that I was putting him or his brushes down, I wasn't. I was just offering up alternatives for the sake of balance, otherwise this forum can look like a Fido marketing initiative at times. I know it isn't one, (and I know how many genuine happy customers there are) but it can look odd to an outsider. That was my only point.

It rather depends on your taste in brushes. I have no hesitation in echoing all the praise for the New Forest brushes and the value for money is surely unbeatable at the moment. Nonetheless, £30 will buy you a very special boar brush - I'm thinking the Semogue Owners' Club one.

Back
Top Bottom